KOTM May 2009 DreKat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
Batman_89
Chicken Strip

Default Starter Button sticking

Yesterday I was coming home on a 6 hr trip and got stuck in traffic so had to pull over not to overheat bike, went to start it and my starter button stuck so whenever I pulled in clutch I could hear the starter motor going, managed to pull lever to stop that to get home, when I got home I can start the bike now but button is very touchy either my lights go off cuz its stuck a bit or starter kicks on until I pull at lever...any suggestions would be great thanks
Batman_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Is the button physically sticking down? If yes, pulling it back up should stop the continued cranking. A good cleaning would resolve the issue, just open up the pod.

But... I doubt that's the issue. I'm gonna bet what you think of as the starter button sticking is actually more that when you engage the starter it won't stop cranking, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the starter button at all. A poor connection or bad battery will actually cause the starter solenoid to hang up on you. When you trip the solenoid with the starter button, it's the solenoid that isn't cutting power to the starter... nothing to do with the button.

I'd suggest you test your battery, check the fluids. It's pretty common for the kat electrical system to cause degraded signal to the alternator - meaning that the system starts to over charge the battery on long rides if not prevented/corrected with electrical system maintenance.

Doing the full once over on all the electrical connections would probably be a good idea too. Clean, dielectric grease, replace damaged components, so on....

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Batman_89
Chicken Strip

The button still sticks when I push it with the bike off though and wouldn't the solenoid only keep the button stuck if power was running through it? Im gonna go and do a good cleaning anyways while I have the body parts off anyways
Batman_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_89 View Post
The button still sticks when I push it with the bike off though and wouldn't the solenoid only keep the button stuck if power was running through it? Im gonna go and do a good cleaning anyways while I have the body parts off anyways
Re-read sentence 1... that covers the button physically sticking. It's not as common, reason followed up with the other options. It would appear, that option one is the answer though.

KRey
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101