X

Scraches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraches

I have an 06 Kat 600f and just recently laid it down on the right side. I think what saved my plastics for the most part was the muffler. i broke my front brake lever bent my foot peg and rear brake lever along with nice pretty hole in the ignition cover. Lucky for me the most expensive piece only got so deep scratches, not cracks or breaks. what is the best way to fix these scratches to make it look as best as possible? if anyone can help ill put a pic of it on when I get a chance but they are pretty deep.

best bet is to post a pic so we can give you the best advice. From what it sounds like, I would probably just fill the scratches, sand it and paint it.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

only way to really tell is to see it.
      02' Katana 600
      D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Here are the scratches I was refering to
        stuff 002.JPG

stuff 009.JPG

stuff 010.JPG

Comment

Rear Brake Lever

If you need a rear brake lever, I have a spare. You'll just need to pay shipping.

Comment

Thnk you but no thank you Iv already replaced everything just contemplating on how to fix my plastics and was wondering if this would be a possible place to get advice.

Comment

EASY FIX

First tape off the grafix so you don't damage them....
              Then wet sand the damaged are smooth and lightly wet sand the painted area aprox 3-4" on either side of the damaged area. Once it's all smooth tape off the area aprox 2" away from the damaged area. This will leave 1~2" to blend the new paint with the old.
              Spray the area with adhesion promoter first then lightly spray paint the damaged area. You don't need a lot of color just enough to hide the damage and don't spray heavy near the masked off area. Then add a coat of clear coat.
              Once it's dry remove the masking and wet sand the new painted surface and blend it into the old....
              Then buff it to a high shine with a rubbing compound.

I'll get back to you later with some pics, i'm on my way out the door here in a couple minutes
              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-08-2008, 08:38 PM.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

if you have the money just buy a new fairing.
                02' Katana 600
                D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Thank you mucho Ill get right on that!!!

Do you have any preferences on a certain type of spray paint I want it to look as new as it did before I went down to begin with. also is there a specific grain of wet sand I should use so I dont damage it futher?
                  Last edited by jobedell; 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

www.color-rite.com will have the paint match.
                    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                    -Terence

Comment

yep color-rite will have the exact color

when repairing and smoothing the damaged area you can use 600 grit paper. you may want to add a bit of plastic epoxy to the damaged area to build them back up to match the other side. Before you paint it though wet sand the repair and the surounding piant with 800-1000 grit.

You don't need to worry about blending the paint too much right next to the decals. The edge of the decal will hide it and that's why I did not add a yellow masking area in the pics. For the bottom of the decal where it is scuffed up you can cut that damaged part off with an exacto knife and tyr to shape it as best as you can leaving as much of the decal there as possible.
                      The main edges you need to worry about are the area where you will be blending the old paint with the new.

Sstep #1 In the first pic the BLUE part is the area to be masked off around the damaged area. Everything inside the blue are must be wet sanded to a dull finish with 1000 grit ( I prefer lighter grits on dark colors)

Step #2 Once it is wet sanded you mask off over top of the sanded area INSIDE the blue area (YELLOW) so you are maskin off over top of the sanded area. This should be at least an inch wide.

Step #3 Consentrate the first VERY light layers of paint (GREEN) mostly on the damaged area and away from the masking edges. Use VERY light coats to avoid runs and heavy edges along the masking.

Step #4 Your final caot or two you can lightly spray over the entire area but again try not to put on too much along the macking edges.

Step #5 Once it is dry completely remove all the masking, you will see you have nice shiny paint seperated by a dull area under the masking that was wet sanded. Now you simply wet sand the new paint with 1500-2000 until it is dull then smoothen the edges of the new paint to blend in with the old paint. you don't want to feel any edges.
                      Once that's done you simply polish it to a high shine with a rubbing compound.

98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Just what I was looking for...

I have a similar issue. Recently picked up an 04, previous owner put it down (looks like more then once ). I want to fix the scratches in the plastic. They look to be along the same lines as those in this discussion. The pics attached show the damage. There are one or two spots with less damage then here, I am guessing that any repair method for these spots will work on the others. Will the methods described in this thread also work for scratches like these?
                        kat1.jpg

kat2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X