X

Idle problem with my '95 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle problem with my '95 600

Howdy y'all, I just bought a '95 600, my first Katana. The bike sat for a couple years, I changed oil and gas but it still won't idle right. When I rev the engine it won't come back down below 3000 rpm unless I drag it down in gear. Then, it will only idle at less than 1000rpm (too low, right?)
    When I fiddle with the idle speed screw I can't get the engine to stay anywhere between 1000 and 3000 rpm, it stays at one or the other, same if I try to use the throttle to bring it up just a little. Other than this, the engine runs great on the road, plenty of power, no surging or bucking. I assume this is a carb problem, can I expect this to go away on its own with a couple tanks of good gas or will this require pulling the carbs and doing a thorough cleaning. 'preciate any and all input
    Check this out!!!
    www.landspeed.com
    Just in case you want to see my ugly mug, go here:
    www.landspeed.com/images/060607tfi.jpg

Re: Idle problem with my '95 600

Originally posted by idrive1203
    or will this require pulling the carbs and doing a thorough cleaning. 'preciate any and all input
    I'm guessing a cleaning..
    The F/A screws might be dirty or out of adjustment..

Comment

This is the same problem I'm having with mine..except it won't run at all. If you find a fix...let me know.

Comment

In the process of cleaning the carbs now, thought it was gonna be a one day deal but I lost some damn stupid little plastic washer...probably take me a week to get it from the dealer
        Check this out!!!
        www.landspeed.com

Comment

If it's on the needles , you can MAKE your own . Just find the right diameter metal washers and stack them until you get the right thickness . Turst me , it'll work fine . And yeah , it's a carb cleaning you need to be doing , and you need to make sure you REALLY get those little tiny holes and passages with brake cleaner and compressed air . Clean them THREE TIMES if you have to to make SURE they're clean . Those will give you the biggest headache .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

***Update***
            Well, wouldn't you know it after I went to the dealer to order the washer, (yes MD86 it's the one on the needle ) I came back home and there it was, sittin' in a corner. So, I put everything back together, and as I was hooking up my carb synch tool I broke the nipple off one of the top covers So, well, screw it (literally, I put a screw in it). Sun's shining, I gotta ride. It's better now, but still not quite right. Thanks for the tip MD, I only ran some solvent through once. Also, I need to make a 90 degree air nozzle to run air through the little holes next to the throttle plates. Thanks for the input y'all, I'll let you know next week after I do this again
            Check this out!!!
            www.landspeed.com

Comment

I am in the process of restoring my bike right now, it previously sat for 6 years. It was having an idling issue as well, so I rebuilt the carbs, but in my haste to get it back together, forgot to clean the float bowl jets. So, had to clean it again. After putting it all back together, it still wouldnt idle correctly. I did notice that if i pushed on the slide for the choke, it would drop rpm and finally die. So I inspected it carefully to find out that one of the clips attached to the choke rod thing (dont know the name) was actually off, so I re-attached it, and then set the idle, sync'd the carbs, and it purrs, so excited. All that is left is getting it painted and im pretty much done. Reason for posting, this may have happened to someone else? take a look.

Comment

Well...took everything apart again this weekend, and it's a little better but still not quite right. I think I'm just gonna ride it out for the rest of the season (we only got another month or so here in the Northwest) and I'll let a mechanic have a shot at it over the winter.
                Happy trails y'all!
                Check this out!!!
                www.landspeed.com

Comment

Working...
                X