X

tire sizes - what they mean

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alpinestar View Post
    how will a radial tire be different from a non radial tire ( like a metzeler ME55 ) ?
    If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
    Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
    Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Can someone please help me. I can buy some chrome wheels off of a 94 fzr600. They look identical to katana wheels. Please advise if they will fit on my 93 katana 600.

Comment

I think that's a 18" wheel. Some quick googling helps answer.
        need info on what to get and what to do to the wheel for every thing to work and be safe. hurd f2 fits any help would be appreciated

Basically, yes... it might work, but you'll need to change the entire rear brake setup to match the fzr.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I know I'm awakening an old thread...

I've been reading about tires but I'm still a little unsure...

What is a good way to find a tire with a matching profile?

I NEED a front tire like yesterday but I can't get the rear until after the holidays(rear has lots of life left). Do I just look at the profiles and try and get something that is close to my existing profile in the rear or is there some numbers that should match to get me close?

I have a good idea as to what to get except profile is tripping me up.

I also know the OEM size is front: 110/80-17 and rear: 140/80-17
          --Edit: Bridgstone says "front: 110/80-17 and rear: 140/80-17" are OEM but I"ve found the KR says"120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear", either way I'm good with sizes.--
          Last edited by niqbales; 11-17-2010, 01:22 PM. Reason: Don't want to look like a total n00b
          95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
          Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
          ---
          I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post

I NEED a front tire like yesterday but I can't get the rear until after the holidays(rear has lots of life left). Do I just look at the profiles and try and get something that is close to my existing profile in the rear or is there some numbers that should match to get me close?

I also know the OEM size is front: 110/80-17 and rear: 140/80-17
            --Edit: Bridgstone says "front: 110/80-17 and rear: 140/80-17" are OEM but I"ve found the KR says"120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear", either way I'm good with sizes.--

Profile is talking about the curvature of the tire. A "good' profile depends upon the type of riding your using. A more flattened profile is good for touring/long rides. A more curved profile is good for twisty/aggresive riding as it helps with turns being quicker.

Generally just choosing a tire for the riding style and of the appropriate size for the rim will get you close enough in proper profile. The concern and discusion here about profiles is around the concept of oversized tires on rims causing a distorted profile, or making the tire have a profile it was not designed for.

Stock sizes for the pre kats were 110/80 and 140/80 for the 600s, and 110/80 and 150/70 for the 750s. In general, it's extreamly hard to find those sizes with the 80 profiles anymore. Most sports tires are 70 or lower in profile by alot of the brands. So a 110/70 or 120/70 with 150/70s are normally what we recomend for the Pre kat tires (unless you have an 88 600 rim type with 6 spokes... those rims are smaller than the rest).

Tires will perform the best with a matched set. It is possible to run differnet tires though. If you have a set in mind, buy the front now... replace the back later to match the set. Just don't try and run on the street like someone would on the track.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

RE:

Thanks Krey... I know some people say its the end of the world if your profiles don't match even if you were getting the match next week. Its good to hear what I kinda assumed from a trusted KatRider.

I'll probably go with the roadsmart then...
              Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
              ---

Comment

Seems obvious but...

I could put a pre 750 wheel on a pre 600 with no modifications right? From what I've read I would say yes...
                ---

Comment

I could put a pre 750 wheel on a pre 600 with no modifications right? From what I've read I would say yes...

Pre 600 and 750 wheels of the same spoke design are the same wheels. So no mods at all are needed.

The 3 spoke design wheels and the 88 600 6 spoke design wheels are swappable as well if you want to upgrade the sizes from the smaller 6 spoke wheels. Post rear wheels are even larger than the pre, being 4.5" wheels and can also be fitted with no mods. The post 98-02 front wheels will swap in as well. 03+ post wheels will not fit the pre due to a change in the size/spacing of the forks and also a larger axle.

Keep in mind spacing needed for the tire size though when looking at doing the swap. While the larger rims will fit, an appropriate sized tire is needed to not rub on some setups.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

On the twisty mountain roads in OR, 120/70/17 front/150/70/17 rear tire works really good on pre Kat's. I would recommend something like the Pilot Road 2's for max durability while still having good grip, or a set of Conti Road Attacks if you want a little more grip, but the chip sealed roads will wear them out much quicker.
                    John,
                    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm leaning toward Pilot Road 2

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
                      On the twisty mountain roads in OR, 120/70/17 front/150/70/17 rear tire works really good on pre Kat's. I would recommend something like the Pilot Road 2's for max durability while still having good grip, or a set of Conti Road Attacks if you want a little more grip, but the chip sealed roads will wear them out much quicker.
                      I've read a lot and this seems to be the best for me. I commute rain or shine 30 miles to work so I need to get good mileage in center but in the summer I like to go for long rides in the twisties. I'm lookin at getting another bike purely for summer/twisty riding or even just having a set of winter tires on separate rims so I'm not burning up sticky tires on the interstate. I just need to figure out an easy solution to make my pre a little more comfortable for touring style riding... I could ride this bike across the country but a more upright position would be great. Oh well, I'll keep lookin for ideas.

What is the advantage(s) of a 120 in front rather than a 110? It is more rubber I guess but is this going to be a noticeable difference?
                      Last edited by niqbales; 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      ---

Comment

I'm seeing some tires with a size of something like: 3.50 - 17. I know the 17 is the rim size but 3.5? 3 1/2 inch wide. And no aspect ratio listed. What does it all mean?
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                        Black painted seat and rear trim,
                        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                          I'm seeing some tires with a size of something like: 3.50 - 17. I know the 17 is the rim size but 3.5? 3 1/2 inch wide. And no aspect ratio listed. What does it all mean?
                          Yes, that is 3.5 inches on a 17 inch rim. That is the old tire rating, hardly anyone uses it anymore.
                          Originally posted by arsenic
                          93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Just ordered a 110/80/17... Hope that's good.. Conti road attack to the rescue..
                            Should i call back and switch to the 120/70/17
                            I invite you to church.

Comment

tire

i got a 99 600 it got a 107/60/17 on it but i got a 150/70/17 at a good price should i put it on

Comment

I have a 1988 1100 Kat., with 16 inch rims. I did a search but couldn't find any recommends for this size. Any recommendations ? The shop manual says : 120/80V 16 V250 front, and 150/80V 16 V250 rear.
                                Old Age and Treachery Will Beat Youth and Skill Every Time

Comment

Working...
                                X