No announcement yet.
X

Anyone using a GPS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi hope my suggestion works out for someone.
    I use a a TomTom 520 model. I have a cheap rider to passenger mic speaker set which i have stitched into the rear side lining of my helmet. Attach a lead from TomTom to helmet male male lead. I made up a fused cigarette socket which connects directly to bike battery this accommodates charger lead again back to TomTom.
    TomTom can go in jacket pocket under seat or tank bag. I also connect an Ipod to the TomTom using a lead connector they make which works a treat and using sat navs options cuts music when directions are given. Hope this is of use.

Comment

Originally posted by woolykat View Post
      Hi hope my suggestion works out for someone.
      I use a a TomTom 520 model. I have a cheap rider to passenger mic speaker set which i have stitched into the rear side lining of my helmet. Attach a lead from TomTom to helmet male male lead. I made up a fused cigarette socket which connects directly to bike battery this accommodates charger lead again back to TomTom.
      TomTom can go in jacket pocket under seat or tank bag. I also connect an Ipod to the TomTom using a lead connector they make which works a treat and using sat navs options cuts music when directions are given. Hope this is of use.
      But spoken directions are the worst feature on gps and the most obnoxious thing ever invented!!!!!!!1

i keep mine turned off lol.

Comment

For my tomtom One, I have this mount.

It has a much better than stock holder for the unit.

Also couldnt beat $20 shipped!!
        Bling....

Comment

Does anyone have Photo's of there GPS mounted on the bike?
          I never knew what I was getting myself into....

Comment

I have a garmin 660 mounted on my bike, the nice thing about the garmin 660 is it comes with both bike mount with wiring harness to connect to the battery AND veh mount w/cigarette adapter. It's also water proof so carry's on in the rain. Differences between the 550 and 660 is that the 660 is a wide screen but comes and a nice flat package (doesn't bulge out in the back like the 550). The 660 has a higher version of blue tooth so music played is in stereo which works well with my sony blue tooth buds...I had helmet wired speakers before but over 80km couldn't hear a thing in them, plus I had to keep disconnecting before I walked too far away from the bike. The down side to the 660 is no XFM but with mp3 I'm happy.

Send me a msg if people want photo's of it mounted...just to remind me to dig my camera out and snap some shots.

Cheers

OutsideAndy
            2006 Katana 750
            Last edited by outsideandy; 06-03-2010, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I must say I havent used a GPS on the bike yet , but im planning to buy this : http://www.givi.it/Accessori-moto-sc...Accessori/S850 with my TOMTOM one xl.
              and hook the power to the battery. anyone got experience with that givi bag? It is supposed to be water proof.
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I have had a bunch of different models I liked my Garmin GPS V, matter of fact wore it completely out lol..

I now have a Garmin Streetpilot 2720 I have a Sunshade that fits on it to keep the Sun glare off the screen.
                I need to get another ear piece for my helmet.

I have tried each of my non weatherproof ones as well, which are my Garmin Nuvi 205 3.5" screen, a Garmin 265WT 4.3" screen- which has a bluetooth feature which is kewl- it's just not weather proof, and a Mio Moov 501 series with a huge 4.7" screen which is really nice for my aging eyes.

I prefer the one on the bike in the second pic my Street pilot 2720, with the sunshade on it and the fact it is completely weatherproof and easily handled with gloves on.

Ron
                "You're only Limited, by Your own mind..."
                "FrankenTana" 1989 GSX1100F w/ 93 GSXR water cooled motor installed and causing smiles from ear to ear.
                click video link to see the bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Z-AY0g9Aw

Comment

I use my iPhone with the TomTom software loaded to it strapped to a RAM mount. I'll take a pick of the mount tonight when I get home.

Comment

gps

i use my cell phone i have a blackberry curve i fabricated a bracket for it so that it sit in topp of the tree works great and all u need to do is hard wire a charger for it and ur set and as long as u have the data package on ur celly ur phone should have gps

Comment

Here is a site I found that lists all mounts made for GPS systems and the motorcycle mounts you can use to mount your car gps to your bike. I have a Garmin Nuvi 250w and they make several mounts and some with wiring that hooks to your battery so that it never runs out of juice.

here is the main link...

We look at how to mount a cell phone, GPS device or camera on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. We review the parts needed for a successful installation.

And here is the link to what I feel works for my 1998 Kat 750 bar system.

I would also considering purchasing the wiring harness to attach to the battery.... for constant power operation....

An overview of using a hardwire cable to power your device on a motorcycle or car.

I hope that this helps.....

Von
                      sigpic
                      98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                      Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

I use a Gamin 205

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_vpIf3k2s"]YouTube- ‪2005 Suzuki Katana 600‬‎[/ame]
                        sigpic

Admin Removed Sig Due to Words. Do not Go Around the Swear Filter. Thank you KR MGMT

Haha.....

Comment

I got the Garmin Zumo 400 and mounted it like this.....

Hope this helps some of you.

Tok

Comment

These days a cell phone and a Bluetooth helmet works perfect for me+ I have tunes if I want.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

google maps or Waze works so much better, is always updated. Waze, an app on the app store gives turn by turn instructions and warns you of road hazards like tire alligators in the roadway, or cops hiding under a bridge conducting a speed trap.. I dumped my garmin gps years ago.

Comment

I used velcro to fasten my Garmin to my ZZR1200 for my last trip from Texas to the Dragon...but once I got to the Treetops, it quit working correctly. Everyone there who had one had the same thing to say about theirs too.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                                X