X

What gas is everyone using?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gas is everyone using?

I'm finally at 1000 miles, still having fun, but it's running a little rough. I bumped up the octane and it is running a little smoother.

Any ideas?
    2 wheels or walk!

Premium

The manual says 89 octane or better so I only run premium. Regular is $3.99 a gallon here now and premium is usually only 20 cents or so more so the difference is less than $1 per tank. Run the good stuff.

Comment

87 octane is all you need this subject has come up a million times
      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

agreed, run 87 you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveMyKat View Post
          The manual says 89 octane or better so I only run premium. Regular is $3.99 a gallon here now and premium is usually only 20 cents or so more so the difference is less than $1 per tank. Run the good stuff.
          in what manual did you see 89 octane or better I thought the owner's manual said 87 octane
          Last edited by JBLUE; 06-12-2008, 04:27 AM.
          sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

probably more important

where You buy the fuel
            I refuse to buy sunoco seems to go flat fast ,not a problem if riding a lot, causes problems in lawnmowers and weed wackers
            I wish there was only 20 cents difference on a gallon
            it is more than 20 cents per liter in Canada
            pumps are @ $1.30 here toaday / liter for 87, I think it is 4.5l = 1 gallon

$5.85 a gallon for 87 good deal EH
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I'm an idiot.

You're right JBlue, I reread the manual and it says at least 87 octane rated by the pump method or 91 rated by the research method. I don't know what da heck that is and I'm not in the mood to look it up now, but I'll stick to the premium cuz my bike has been running great on it and I'm getting 49 mpg.

Comment

87 and it runs fine
                25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

eighty seven is fine.
                  -2000 "750"

Comment

87 is all that is needed for the Kat
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment

I run regular as well. Used to think premium made a different but now i save.
                      Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                      www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

i run 93 just cause it doesn't cost me as much to fill up my truck.

Comment

I use regular (95 ron oct in Europe) which is about 90 aki oct (the one you have in the US). I'd never even think of using 91 (your regular 87), even if it was avaliable here. I used to use 98 oct (93 in the US) but now it's just too expensive. Also, Shell sells something like 100 oct here also, which would come to about 95 aki oct. It's insanely expensive.

Found this comparison chart somewhere:
                          91 RON (Euro) octane = 87 AKI (US) octane (Regular in the US)
                          94 RON (Euro) octane = 89 AKI (US) octane (Midgrade in the US)
                          95 RON (Euro) octane = 90 AKI (US) octane (Regular in Europe)
                          96 RON (Euro) octane = 91 AKI (US) octane (Premium in some areas of the US)
                          97 RON (Euro) octane = 92 AKI (US) octane (IIRC, premium in some areas of Europe)
                          98 RON (Euro) octane = 93 AKI (US) octane (Premium in some areas of the US, and in Europe)
                          1991 GSX750F

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think I also have some moisture in the tank (remember we have insane humidity here on the gulf coast of texas). I'm almost empty, so I think I'll drain the tank and start over with mid-grade to see if it clears up. It's only at low revs, almost coughing. Give a little throttle and it settles right down.
                            2 wheels or walk!

Comment

i think 87 takes the cake here

Comment

Working...
                              X