X

oil my chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil my chain

Im gonna ago fight with the center stand what should i use to oil my chain, just some motor oil or what? I was gonna use some gear oil you know the thick stuff.
    2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
    vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
    JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

go out and buy yourself some good quality chain oil and make sure you give it a spray about ever other ride or so depending on your weather conditions
    Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Always best to buy a good Bike chain spray or oil. Like Haggis said "make sure you give it a spray about ever other ride or so depending on your weather conditions"
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I like the Maxima chain wax. Is does not pick up a lot of debris and does a good job of keeping things lubricated. A Moose chain scrubber is also a handy tool to have when you want to clean your chain before you oil it.

Comment

There is probably more than one post about how to clean your chain and oil it. Run a search for "chain lube" and see what you get.

Short version, clean it at least every 600 miles with keroscene if you can find it (it is the best way). Use lots of rags, get it good and clean. Ride it to warm up the chain, spray it down with the lube per directions on the can, and let sit overnight.

Like they said above, lube it more often.
          AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
            I like the Maxima chain wax.
            sorry but i hate wax.i can't think on the name but it's "blue lable"is awsume maybe it's bellray?

Comment

I use BelRay and it has a Blue label. Don't know if it is the same one, but I like it alot. Not much flings off.
              AMA member # 224227

Comment

How often you add a little oil is actually far more important than the brand. You need to clean the chain every 600 miles, but need to add a bit of oil to it at least four times as often (think every tankful). Most chain oils are foaming oils -- they form a foam when sprayed that thickens up quickly, making it easier to spread it around the chain. Heavy gear oil will work as well, as will used engine oil, but both will need to be applied more often as they tend to fling off faster (with an automatic oiler system they are suitable because they are applied more regularly -- like a drop every 1/4 to 1/2 mile).

Pretty much everything you wanted to know about chain oils/waxes/maintenance/stretching/etc will be in my upcoming Katana book. Oh, and for those of you waiting desperately -- I just got the original design drawings, photos of the lifesize clay mock-ups of the design, etc., from the original design team for the first Katanas (something to look forward to!)

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

k crap
                  2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
                  vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
                  JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

Comment

This is a very good solution QK.

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
                      I use BelRay and it has a Blue label. Don't know if it is the same one, but I like it alot. Not much flings off.
                      i looked last night.it's pj1 blue label but i know belray use to be the shixel back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        will be in my upcoming Katana book
                        i want a autographed copy.

Comment

Working...
                        X