X

Engine/carb help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine/carb help

I recently got a bike that had been sitting for a while and am trying to get it running again. I have gotten around to it now. I changed the oil and the plugs along with cleaning out the carbs. Heres the problem. I can get it started and running but it won't run with out the choke even after it's been warmed up. Also when I go to rev it up it stalls from idle but eventually revs up but is very slow to rev down...what could this be? Did I not get the carbs sealed in their boots all the way? Let me know.
    Bonstrosity

Not running w/o the choke points to dirty idle jets/passages . So does "slow to rev down" (happened to a friend's bike) . I'd say you're not done cleanng the carbs (sorry) .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know what I'll be doing tonight...thanks for the help

Comment

Re: Engine/carb help

Originally posted by bonstrosity
        I recently got a bike that had been sitting for a while...
        Q: Did you change the fuel for fresh fuel yet?

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yea, I know it's something with the carbs since its fresh oil, plugs, gas. I'll pull them out again tonight and see what I can do. I'll just make sure to use a lot of carb cleaner and make sure to get every little nook and cranny.

Comment

Carbs rev'ing down slowly can be an overly tight throttle cable. Also disconnect the choke and then try to operate it -- if you feel any resistance to speak of, replace that cable. See if you can get it to idle without starting it with choke.
            Make sure you take a nylon bristle to the inside of the jets -- a bristle from a paint brush will work (nylon won't scratch the metal, but should remove any debris stuck against the side).

Good Luck!
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'll try that tonight, I'm fairly sure that neither of the cables are stuck but i'll take a look. Thanks CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X