X

triple trees?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• triple trees?

can any of you tell me how the hell do i get the triple trees off? my problem is i cant separate the ignition(where you insert your keys) from the triples. any tips? thanks for the help
    PAUL
    93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

There is a disconnect underneath the tank. After you disconnect the ignition you will be able to remove the triple tree. So follow the ignition wires down to where it connects.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

yeah what Highsight said. If you want to remove the ignition, it takes a special socket (I crammed a regular one on and it worked.
      sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
      MSF Rider Coach 27028
      MoPowerSports.com
      Torco
      SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Well, even though the guys above were trying, I think you want to take the ignition OFF the top tree, eh?

On the early Kats, these were installed with a break off bolt that spun in and broke off the head when it bottomed out. I've had dozens of them out..............you can try & punch a slot into the head that's left, but I normally just drill the thing out. Drill only down to the top tree, then stop.

If you screw things up too badly, I've got lots of spares! 8)

The 98+ Kats have a security socket head bolt. I had to buy one of those a long time ago!
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Yeah that 98+ bolt sucks. Not to mention it was an odd metric size.

Comment

Special K is totally right. The install bolts are called shear head bolts. they are a torx style blot that tightens to a specific torque and then breaks off. The best way to remove them is to take a center punch and a hammer and try and knock the bolt counter clockwise. If your gonna replace the top tree then take a chisle and break the tree back until you can get a pair of vice grips on the bolts. otherwise its a center punch.
            Hope that helps.

Comment

The one I have was cut.. what I mean is that the triple has a 1-1 1/2 slot cut into it to cut a slot in the bolt head.. then use a slotted screw driver to remove the ignition switch.
              misery loves company...

Comment

Working...
              X