X

Need Mod advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Mod advice

Alright, there are 2 mods I'm looking at for my 5-6 months riding hiatus here in Deutschland. I could really use some advice on them though before I go and dump my hard earned Euros on them.

The first is a Nissin brake caliper upgrade, including the front brake lines in SS. Gotta love it. Any idea on the difficulty of this one, running new brake lines that is? Also, would I need to replace the rear brake line to keep them balanced? (I know the SS lines give a bit more braking power) I know I may have asked this before, but who has any experience with Nissin as an after-market supplier? I've seen their stuff on a lot of newer Japanese sport bikes, so I guess they cant be all bad, right? (kit is $140, custom built for the Sprint ST so fit isnt a problem)

The second I'm still debating. My Sprint ST has a tendancy to nose dive under braking (a lot) and I've heard that the Race Tech Gold valve emulators can help solve this kind of problem. Anyone ever use them in their bikes? I would love to get some feedback on experiences other riders have had before I run out and buy em. Also, how difficult are they to install, or is this something I should have a professional take care of? I appreciate the input guys! (This kit is $135, no idea on installation costs; any guesses?)

Hey Ru!
    The "problem" won't be the stock 4-piston calipers, upgrading the stock Nissin MC the Sprint is equipped with is the key too improved brakingpower. correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember well it's just a 14mm piston, switch to a 16mm or even 19mm MC and you'll get what you want..., just other calipers won't help.
    SS-lines will improve feedback and doseability and a slight gain in braking-power, EBC HH pads will provide more brakingpower.
    SS line to the rear can be done, looks nicer, but keep in mind you won't really need this extra cause the rear tends to lock up anyway.
    For the frontsuspie, no offence meant but is it adjusted the right way?
    I think all of us Kat-owners would love to see our bikes equipped with the Showa front the ST is equipped with.
    If you wanna do the MC-mod I can provide you with some tips, just let me know.

Comment

Hey Kwebbel!

Good to see you again!

Thanks for the info; it caught my attention on something. I mentioned a caliper upgrade, but it is in fact the Master Cylinder I am looking at. The original is indeed 14mm (Points for knowing that one!) and the upgrade is 5/8", or 15.8mm. Should be a decent, but not overpowering upgrade. The EBC HH pads are already in there, that was the first thing I did upon landing in Deutschland!

As for the forks, I know the Daytona and the Speed Triple came with some really nice forks, but the Sprint ST/RS models can only adjust the spring preload. Maybe I should go yank someone's 'Tona forks? Anyway, I've asked some other people on a Trumpet site about the nosedive, and it's a common problem with the ST/RS models. I just dont know if the Racetech valves will clean up the problems or not.

I appreciate the offer for the tips, the only suspension work I've ever done was on my mountain bike. Of course, that sucker was adjustable for preload, dampening, and rebound, so in some senses it was more complicated than the forks on my trumpet!

I hope all is well for you and your family brah. Keep me posted on how life is treating you up there!

Comment

**BUMP**

C'mon now, surely someone else on this board has used RaceTech valves on their bikes, or gone to a modified master cylinder. Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by RUCrash
          Hey Kwebbel!

Good to see you again!

Thanks for the info; it caught my attention on something. I mentioned a caliper upgrade, but it is in fact the Master Cylinder I am looking at. The original is indeed 14mm (Points for knowing that one!) and the upgrade is 5/8", or 15.8mm. Should be a decent, but not overpowering upgrade. The EBC HH pads are already in there, that was the first thing I did upon landing in Deutschland!

As for the forks, I know the Daytona and the Speed Triple came with some really nice forks, but the Sprint ST/RS models can only adjust the spring preload. Maybe I should go yank someone's 'Tona forks? Anyway, I've asked some other people on a Trumpet site about the nosedive, and it's a common problem with the ST/RS models. I just dont know if the Racetech valves will clean up the problems or not.

I appreciate the offer for the tips, the only suspension work I've ever done was on my mountain bike. Of course, that sucker was adjustable for preload, dampening, and rebound, so in some senses it was more complicated than the forks on my trumpet!

I hope all is well for you and your family brah. Keep me posted on how life is treating you up there!
          I did some googling this eve, do you know this site Ru?

they present 2 options for the MC-mod.

/off topic
          Concerning my family you know I did suffer heavy losses this year.. but the sun starts shining again, life goes on right?

Comment

Originally posted by RUCrash
            **BUMP**

C'mon now, surely someone else on this board has used RaceTech valves on their bikes, or gone to a modified master cylinder. Anyone?
            I thought you were ugprading calipers from your first post. I just put a 2002 SV650S M/C on my Kat. Which is actually a 5/8 nissin M/C with remote reservoir. I don't know if it's the same M/C you're refering to but it's similar. Got it for $30 bucks off ebay. The lever power and feedback is much better than the stock Kat M/C. It's a great addition to the stock brake system. I'm still waiting for the SS lines. As far as improving braking power or stopping power, it won't. A M/C and SS upgrade alone will not improve stopping power. The stopping power of the motorcycle will still be limited by the calipers, pads, rotors, grip(tires), and front suspension.
            '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

RUCrash I just check out the site kwebbel posted. Those brembo M/Cs looks sweet.
              '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Aweome stuff! Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
                X