X

is this oil good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this oil good?

I bought the catrol superbike oil 10 40 I hope this is good anyone used it before
    sigpic

Here is the link explaining motorcycle oil that has been floating around.
    I have been running Shell Rotella in my Kat.

Comment

Re: is this oil good?

Originally posted by KAT6
      I bought the catrol superbike oil 10 40 I hope this is good anyone used it before
      Unless Castrol has recently changed their formulation (say within the past 4 weeks), their R4 superbike oil is a 5w40, not a 10w40. It's a very good oil, but it's not suitable for the Katana for extended periods of time because of that lower base-weight number. One thing for sure, you'll get more power out the bike while it's in there

I'd recommend the Castrol GPS 10w40 (or in very hot climates, 20w50) instead for the long run; it'll do a better job of protecting the bearings and other load-surfaces. It's also about half the price.

In general, you want to use JASO-MA compatible, API SG/SH grade 10w40 motor oil in your bike. The JASO-MA compliance isn't mandatory, but will serve you well (the R4 is JASO-MA rated, but that 5 weight is still an issue).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I swear it is r4 10w40 I will check again . I love the oil but it was very expensive. I hope it lasts more than 2k miles. I definitely tell the difference in the power.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X