X

Tapered Steering head bearings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapered Steering head bearings?

I've heard talk about these fancy tapered head bearings. Anyone here done this upgrade, if so where did you get your bearings, and what's involved? Other than the obvious remove old bearings / install new.

Thanks,

Chris

I think you have to get some tools. Take off the old bearings. Drink a Beer. Put in the New Bearings. Drink a Beer. Put away tools.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
      I think you have to get some tools. Take off the old bearings. Drink a Beer. Put in the New Bearings. Drink a Beer. Put away tools.
      Exactly the info i was looking for,

Thanks

Comment

NP!
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Re: Tapered Steering head bearings?

Originally posted by chriskatana
          I've heard talk about these fancy tapered head bearings. Anyone here done this upgrade, if so where did you get your bearings, and what's involved? Other than the obvious remove old bearings / install new.
          There are differences in the bearings between the the 98 - 02 and the 03 - onwards. I'm not sure about the pre-98's.

There's nothing fancy about tapered bearings in general. The only issue I know of is that the standard aftermarket steering head bearings hold up a bit longer (harder stuff) than the OEM ones. Treat them using the same specs (i.e. - same torque settings, etc).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Tapered Steering head bearings?

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Originally posted by chriskatana
            There are differences in the bearings between the the 98 - 02 and the 03 - onwards. I'm not sure about the pre-98's.

There's nothing fancy about tapered bearings in general. The only issue I know of is that the standard aftermarket steering head bearings hold up a bit longer (harder stuff) than the OEM ones. Treat them using the same specs (i.e. - same torque settings, etc).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            yup what he said the hardess part it supportign the bike to take the front end off to change the lower bearing take a brass punch and a hammer some bearing grease 6 or 7 @#$ words and done.

Comment

Do 98+ use the same style roller bearings as pre98? If they're different,would you need to also tap out the bearing races in the steering head and replace them with lones that matched the style of the bearing?

Keith...your the man...are they the same or different?

Comment

I installed these tapered steering head bearings. http://www.allballsracing.com/bearing_and_seal_kits.htm 98+ do not use tapered bearings. Pre98 I'm not sure both I've seen did have tapered bearings, but they may not have been stock.

....If they're different,would you need to also tap out the bearing races in the steering head and replace them with lones that matched the style of the bearing?
                Either way you want to tap the old bearing races out. They come with the new races. New bearings new races.

......... to change the lower bearing take a brass punch and a hammer some bearing grease 6 or 7 @#$ words and done.
                NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!

The top bearings are easy to change pretty much slide on and off. The bottom is a pain in the azz. I would rent a bearing puller or take it to a shop to remove bottom bearings/race. DON'T USE A HAMMER AND PUNCH to install the bearings. The risk of the punch sliding off the race and damaging the bearings is way too high. Get a pipe the exact diameter of the race and use that to pound the bearing into place. Trust me I learned the hard way.
                '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                  98+ do not use tapered bearings
                  Actually, if I understand it correctly, the 98 - 02 use a tapered bearing for the upper bearing where the taper is built into the bearing module itself (as verses to being part of the steering stem design). To compare designs, take a look at:

Pre-98 Steering Stem Parts diagram
                  98-02 Steering Stem Parts Diagram
                  03+ Steering Stem Parts Diagram

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day -- if he can stand fish. Teach a man to fiche, and he'll understand parts for life.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Actually, if I understand it correctly, the 98 - 02 use a tapered bearing for the upper bearing where the taper is built into the bearing module itself (as verses to being part of the steering stem design). To compare designs, take a look at:

Pre-98 Steering Stem Parts diagram
                    98-02 Steering Stem Parts Diagram
                    03+ Steering Stem Parts Diagram

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day -- if he can stand fish. Teach a man to fiche, and he'll understand parts for life.
                    I'm sorry but your wrong. 98+ '98-'02 do not use tapered bearings top or bottom. I've ordered and returned the parts to ronayers.com. If you look closely at the fiches though pre98 look like they are tapered, 98+ you can see the round ball bearings(part 9) and 03 appear to be tapered on the upper bearing? maybe.

Edit : On the '98 to 02 fiche part 9 is the bearings in their cage. The fiche doesn't show the inner and outer races.

Comment

I just had the steering bearings replace with the better ones I couldnt even steer when they went bad. pain in the but to do
                      sigpic

Comment

Just did a front end swap on a 02 Kat. the berings are not tapered and thats the fact Jack. used a 96 Gixx triple and 02 750 forks Busa front wheel and rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwidow
                          Just did a front end swap on a 02 Kat. the berings are not tapered and thats the fact Jack. used a 96 Gixx triple and 02 750 forks Busa front wheel and rotors.
                          NICE got any pics? Which bearings did you use on the swap?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwidow
                            This is the kind of info alot of us are looking for. Was there any parts that did not fot? any others that you know will?
                            -- SIG WANTED - APPLY WITHIN --

Comment

Working...
                            X