X

Valves slapping around??? vibration sound??? Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves slapping around??? vibration sound??? Help

Well I just took care of some exhaust leaks now I can actually hear the engine running not just the exhaust note. I dont know if I'm being paranoid or what. If I rev the engine to about 4000rpm the engine just sounds like everthing is slapping around like crazy. Is that normal? I just adjusted the valves about 500miles ago. Maybe it's cause I'm comparing the engine sound to a cbr600f4 and a yzf600. Do these suzuki air/oil cooled engines just sound that much different than a watercooled engine?
    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Mine sounds like that too, it could be the cam chain tensioner starting to loose its oomph, or its the normal noise of the engine.
    -- SIG WANTED - APPLY WITHIN --

Comment

digitize the sound and let us all hear it...

Failing that, find a new or used Kat and listen to it to compare to.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my old Yamaha had a similar sound (83 maxim), turned out to be the cam chain. took care of it, and havent heard that sound since.

Comment

I hope its not the cam chain. This '00 600 engine only has 6,000 miles on it. When I adjusted the valves the engine was absolutly immaculate inside. I didnt check the cam chain tensioner but I did grab the chain on the sprocket and tried to pull on it to see if it had any slop. It didn't. I just changed the oil and it was a beautiful amber color. The engine pulls fine. Seems to have plenty of power. Maybe I'm just plain crazy. It sounds similar to my old engine. I just always assumed the valves on the old engine sounded like they were slapping around because they needed to be adjusted. I guess thats just the way they sound. I wish I had a good way to record the engine sound. I guess I'll swing by a local dealership they gotta couple used Kats give em a listen.

Comment

oh, I didn't know it was a newer engine. My cam chain has some slack in it that i thought was normal, but I guess not. You coule measure the 21 link lenght of the chain but I think you have to take it out ...I'm drunk, typing is hard, of the engine, I would imagine its normal if you are getting the same sound on a new engine. I had a funny sound on mine and ended up adjusting the valves, but that wasn't it. I wish I could give you more help.
            -- SIG WANTED - APPLY WITHIN --

Comment

+1 on he cam chain
              ------------------------------------------------------
              Lean in Lean out.
              ------------------------------------------------------
              1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
              2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
              2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
              2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

98+ SACS clatter.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Does it sound like a Horse Bang....

Comment

Wow this thread got dug up from the dead. This past winter I replaced the cam chain tensioner spring. That solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                      Wow this thread got dug up from the dead. This past winter I replaced the cam chain tensioner spring. That solved the problem.
                      I replaced the cam chain tensioner spring two weeks ago, that also solved the slapping sound my engine made... Now I'm starting to notice other sounds, and getting a bit paranoid.
                      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

I just replaced the cam chain tensioner spring and the 2 gaskets (ones rubber and one is copper) and now when I open up the throttle to about 7000rpm I hear this very distinct vibration/clatter noise. What could that be? Low rpms are much better, less engine noise overall unless I hit the high rpms. I've never heard that noise until now.
                        1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by 89katana750
                          I just replaced the cam chain tensioner spring and the 2 gaskets (ones rubber and one is copper) and now when I open up the throttle to about 7000rpm I hear this very distinct vibration/clatter noise. What could that be? Low rpms are much better, less engine noise overall unless I hit the high rpms. I've never heard that noise until now.
                          If it's internal to the engine, it could be valve float from weakened valve springs (sixteen, seventeen year old valve springs -- how many miles on the engine?), although the Katana design isn't usually prone to this issue... Could also be drive-chain lash, vibrating instrument panel/surround/windshield/headlight assembly/gas tank/gas cap, worn cam bearings (esp if the tensioner was bad for a long time), aftermarket end-can filler, and with a bike that age, even the internal baffles for the stock OEM exhaust.

Three questions:
                          1. Does it do it from 7k up to redline, or just around 7k?
                          2. Will it make the noise standing still at 7k RPM (like on the centerstand)? What about in motion if you pull in the clutch at that point but keep the RPM's up?
                          3. Did you get the valves adjusted, and if so, how long ago (in miles)? Who did the adjustment?

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i have a slapping sound coming from my motor as well. it's not as bad as it was on the original motor i had, but it also had 23K miles. the motor i have now is 7K miles and i can hear the slapping but not as bad as on the prior engine. i always figured it was a valve slap or something. how do i inspect/replace the cam chain tensioner and related parts? i pulled up next to my friends on their bikes, and they both turned and looked at me wondering what that slapping sound was. i figured it was just the sound of an older model engine compared to their FI engines. i can record a sound/vid clip of it if someone can tell me if it's normal or not....

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
                            "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

The bike has 73000km. The plastics are off right now so the instruments in the front are very loose along the the windshield and signals. There is a loose header bolt that needs to be re threaded, its in but not tight. I did the valve adjustment 100km ago. Im going to test it out today again so I can get a better idea of what it can be.
                              1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X