Fresh fish!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh fish!

Hey guys,
    Iv been lurking around learning about Kats for the past like 3 weeks, theres a 95 750 my neighbor wants to see get running again, and I happen to be looking for a bike. its been sitting outside tarp covered for like 10 years. here in CA bay area. its not running , the clutch handle dosnt compress, im hoping that all i need to do is clean the carbs, tank, fluids, maybe replace some lines...

Im basically wondering what it would take to get it running well( rough questimate of course). I plan on keeping it for a while so its not just a flip, or anything thing like that. He wants 500$ for it and i figure if I put another 400-600 in it thats not a bad deal for a good running bike.

so does that seem plausable 400-600, preferably much less, to get it running and driving well?

Originally posted by Chokeagoat View Post
    Hey guys,
    Iv been lurking around learning about Kats for the past like 3 weeks, theres a 95 750 my neighbor wants to see get running again, and I happen to be looking for a bike. its been sitting outside tarp covered for like 10 years. here in CA bay area. its not running , the clutch handle dosnt compress, im hoping that all i need to do is clean the carbs, tank, fluids, maybe replace some lines...

Im basically wondering what it would take to get it running well( rough questimate of course). I plan on keeping it for a while so its not just a flip, or anything thing like that. He wants 500$ for it and i figure if I put another 400-600 in it thats not a bad deal for a good running bike.

so does that seem plausable 400-600, preferably much less, to get it running and driving well?

sitting 10 years... your looking at...

New tires (inspect those bearings when off), new chain, probably should get sprockets.
    Rebuild forks, new fluid. (2 year life on fork fluids, goes rancid and solidifies... literally clogs the poorly working damping as it is so...)
    Rear shock is probably shot. A post 750 shock would be a good inexpensive replacement.
    All fluids, brake lines need replaced (unless they were upgraded already to stainless braided.)
    Deep clean on the carbs. Possible petcock rebuild. Tank clean out and reseal.
    New spark plugs + air filter.

And all the maintenance items I've not listed. Checking the steering stem bearings, valve adj check, so on. Go through the full list and check it all assuming it's never been done.

If you do all that yourself including the tire change, I'd expect the cost to run in the $900+ range minimal.

That's just function, not including cosmetic fixes.

If you are going to invest that much and keep the bike long term, I'd strongly suggest you consider doing a full upgrade on the suspension. Racetech springs and gold valve emulators for those front forks are a huuuuuuge improvement over the OEM setup. The post 750 shock I mentioned can be resprung and rebuilt to your specs. Norwestsuspension.com can do that for you at a really reasonable price.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What sort of fish was it and how much did it weigh?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
        What sort of fish was it and how much did it weigh?
        I was wondering the the same thing. Welcome to KR!
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Thanks for the advice, now I have to think about if its worth it or not. It might be better simpley to save up a bit and get a newer,more reliable better looking, bike.

The fish, it was like a 100lb japanese smallmouth...jkjk

Comment

get your stringer out...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
            X