X

Newbie in Nashville

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in Nashville

Just read a few other new member's posts. Welcome to the forum. I've been reading this for a year but couldn't complete registration cause of my outlook.com email. Steve just fb messengered me today with a temp password and I finally could edit to a gmail and get registered. Whew, glad that's over, thanks Steve.

Had been reading 6 months before I stumbled onto news of the Cyber Poet's demise.
    His clear and helpful legacy lives on here. Thanks CP.

Ok I'm stickin with Keyless. Thought I might change it to Pinky but I'm stayin put cause, well, I'm still keyless for now at the ignition switch.*

Thought I'd give yall a laugh at the photo from the Craigslist ad I bought from. Yah Pepto Pink. Black girl was built like a brick house. A slim, stacked brick house. Movin on to a Ducati. Dad owns a junkyard in MS, been ridin all her life. Boyfriend there backing her up. Said it would start and run great, just replace the ignition key and front tire. Uh, no. Reckon they maybe broke the key off in the ignition hopin to sell to a dumb buyer. Hey, it worked!

It's a longer story than for this post. I'll tell it someday. Along the way, four (4) bearings in the rear hub, selecting new chain/shproketz, no cranky, 13k=29.7k, spare CDI, peak voltage adapter, Oh, the places I'll go (everywhere but the road). Small claims court?

*If you see a cheap generic ignition lock/switch on ebay, and it lists a 2006 kat gsx600f as a compatible vehicle, BE WARNED: If it's like the one I bought, it'll work all the lights normally in the Park position, and some of the lights in the Run position, but no cranky from the START Button, leading you on a Wild Goose Chase All Over The Harness And Every Freakin Switch, Relay And Connector Before Ya Figure Out Its The Freakin Switch Is Warred Diffurnt Internally From The OEM Switch Ya Shoulda Had Orda Bought To Begin With.
    And once you replace the crap new switch with the original one with the cylinder removed, all returns to normal and the push-to-start button will Crank the Bike, which for you I hope starts, mine dint. --carbs of course, my immediate future.
    Sayonara

TOPTOP
    Attached Files

Belated welcome..... yeah, Chinese crap is always inferior.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome...we all miss Marc. I got the chance to hang out with him at my first rally, but he was gone the following August. Welcome though!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome,.
        Wow yeah.... Pink...
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Welcome,.
          Wow yeah.... Pink...
          Figured I'm not man enough to ride a pink bike, so launched into painting the wheels, parts and vinyl soon after I got it.

I found a fourth bearing in the rear hub assembly where the RETAINER,REAR S 64733-34C00 shoulda been!!!
          Rolled ok when I bought it, rolled it onto my old ford 350 flatbed to cart home. Ok at walking speed but I wonder if I rode it? Never know caus I put good used axle, spacers and 3 new bearings back in and new bearings up front.

New rear SS rotor, pads. Matching good used front tire. Bought spoons, did myself. New x-ring chain cause I couldn't get the old one to unkink. Rear 47t sprocket's good, got a good oem 15t front. New front sprocket seal, shift rod seal.

Fixed petcock leak with new o-rings and permatex "High-Tack". New top fuel line and filter.
          Straightened cowling support.

I'm gonna watch golf now and eat. Tell yall about the ignition specs later. I know cleaning the carbs is my fate.TOP

Comment

YIKES!!!! No bueno on the used tires...... A cheap new tire is better than any used M/C tire.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Welcome!

Yeah...Tires are SUPER IMPORTANT on a bike. It's literally holding your ass to the road. You can screw around with crap tires on a car but not the bike...and this goes a million times more if you're riding squid with no protective gear.

Tires have a date code on them...keep 'em fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                YIKES!!!! No bueno on the used tires...... A cheap new tire is better than any used M/C tire.
                ...maybe? I gave my friend my 3 week old PR4 after my 600 got wrecked...
                Seriously though, be cautious with a used tire. Check the date code - if it's more than 5 years old, the rubber will be hard and have very little traction even if it has lots of tread left.

Good catch with the rear end, sounds like you've got a decent idea what you're doing.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

You gave your friend a tire from a wrecked bike....... How is that good...i saw the pics... I'll give you the maybe....
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

If I buy a mc tire again I'll get new. Had good luck with used truck tire sets.

Ya learnt me on the tire date code, never heard of that.
                    Googled it, went to look, and rear tire shows 04/15, while the replacement front SHOWS NO DATE. behold pic. ODD.
                    Tire has no sidewall dry cracking, feels good, holds air great while just sitting, chikin strip, still got nibs.
                    Shinko 005 Advance seemed a good mate to the nearly new Shinko 741 on the rear. $44 delivered, ebay.

Now when ya consider my Use Case, it'll suffice as long as it runs smooth. If the bike ever starts.
                    Use case, that's another story.
                    ---
                    Forum question: What happens if I type a title in above this reply field? (Edit: I'm gonna make a short test post and try it, nevermind)
                    Also, Seems a good time to start a thread over at Long Term Projects, so look for me n pinky over there someday soon.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Shinko tires are a fairly new brand tire, they are the old Yokohama brand. Now made in China.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

More training:
                        Now use the edit button to delete it.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Keyless View Post
                          ... the replacement front SHOWS NO DATE. behold pic. ODD....
                          11/11 = Week 11 of 2011 = 3/14/2011

6 year tire expiration

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                            More training:
                            Now use the edit button to delete it.
                            ---
                            Yeah, that makes sense, thanks.

Comment

Expiring Tire!

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
                              11/11 = Week 11 of 2011 = 3/14/2011

6 year tire expiration
                              Mr. Travis, I think you're right, tire made 11/11. The rear tire shows 0|4|1|5 ...with the vertical lines between digits made by the edge of each number die. I saw it wrong. So THANKS!

Ok I read the tire expiration link. Since this expires in November of this year, I need to get this bike running and wear some miles off it pronto I think.

92xjunker said:
                              Shinko tires are a fairly new brand tire, they are the old Yokohama brand. Now made in China.*

Which I take as shade on Shinko.
                              The rear is 2yrs old, barely worn, model SR741, H, 150/70-17.
                              I don't see any shinko blowout talk on google.
                              Advice or suggestions are welcome, low priority.
                              ----

*I can't figure out the secondary quote function, so I did a copy-paste diy version for 92xjunker. I had opened another tab to look back and I hit the secondary quote button but nothing happened to insert it here. Also tried selecting the desired text first. nada.
                              Howzat work?

Comment

Working...
                              X