Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Hello, Picked up a gsx600f in very rough shape for 100 bucks!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, Picked up a gsx600f in very rough shape for 100 bucks!

Hi, love the site so far, very helpful, and we (the bike and I) need a lot! I'm not new to this model, I had a 89 GSX750R when I was 15 back in 95, it was my first bike and I loved it! this one is my project bike, I also have a 07' C50 which I have perfectly customized and is just a great cruiser!

Here we go...

I picked the GSX600f up last week on CL. The guy wanted $700 for it, when I got there I almost left as the bike is ROUGH! It has no plastic, rusty chain/bolts/front bracket, no battery, and no way is worth $700... but I'm there... may as well hear it run (as promised by PO), we hooked up my portable jumpstarter and.... the key would not turn the ignition switch to on! it was stuck, at this point I told him thanks but no thanks and he said make an offer... my offer was $100, eventually he reluctantly sold me my new toy.

Got it home on the trailer and a little graphite in the ignition and the key turned! Was very excited, lights on, went to fire her up and she turned over! and over, and over.... wouldn't fire up...

I pulled the carbs and opened em up, (After dealing with about 20 already stripped screws!) it was very dirty, which was a good sign! One of the main jets was sitting in the float bowl, completely unscrewed, not such a good sign, two of the jet spacer/washer things were missing, the bladders all have pin holes... Butterfly valves all out of sync, floats all out of spec, idle adjustments all over the place, none even close to 2.5 turns... Cleaned and adjusted everything and for now used rtv to patch the diaphragm (temporarily until I at least hear the thing run) God I do not miss carbs, been so spoiled with fuel injection the last several years!

The next day, gave the gas tank a once over (somehow no rust, thank god)and gave it new fuel, checked the spark plugs (they is slight fouling so I'm gonna replace them), and went to fire er up, and... same, cranking all day, no luck...
    but this time there was no gas leaking from my carbs, so some progress!

Tore it all back down last night and replaced all the fuel line, inspected for vacuum leaks,, checked the spark plug wiring... and it was 1243, so I fixed that, verified that I have spark, and stuck some rags in the carb and called it quits for the day, hopefully after I get it back together I will hear her run!

I have a few other issues I have found as well... the dash lights do not come on? no high beam? the flasher relay make a horrid buzzing sound when the left signal is on but the right signal works fine???

Well, I sure am glad ya'll are here and I'm sure I am going to be spending a lot of time on there forums over the next few month!
    89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Make sure you got 11v at the coils when the starter is turning the motor over, or it won't start.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Dirt, rust and corrosion! Not a clean connector on this bike. It drops to 9.2/9.5 volts at the coils... Cleaned all day and got it up to 10.1/10.4 volts... (biggest gains were after cleaning the right switch assemble) I'm going to do the coil mod later today and most likely order a new wire harness.... I would love to at least verify that it has the ability to run before putting too much into it... Here is a link to a very clean way to do the coil mod

I already have a relay and a fuse in my junk drawer as well as all the other wires and connectors, just not up to it today, I'll get her going soon enough though!Just one more Volt, haha
      89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

Originally posted by wespool View Post
        Dirt, rust and corrosion! Not a clean connector on this bike. It drops to 9.2/9.5 volts at the coils... Cleaned all day and got it up to 10.1/10.4 volts... (biggest gains were after cleaning the right switch assemble) I'm going to do the coil mod later today and most likely order a new wire harness.... I would love to at least verify that it has the ability to run before putting too much into it... Here is a link to a very clean way to do the coil mod

I already have a relay and a fuse in my junk drawer as well as all the other wires and connectors, just not up to it today, I'll get her going soon enough though!Just one more Volt, haha
        You can skip the permanent coil mod, and just run temp wires directly to the coils from the pos. bat. post as a test "will this fix the start issue". It won't hurt anything as long as you understand no to leave them connected when you walk away.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ignition coil mod is complete, hit the starter, fired right up! The RPM's are super high, not sure whats going on there, but it is running!!!
          89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

Originally posted by wespool View Post
            Ignition coil mod is complete, hit the starter, fired right up! The RPM's are super high, not sure whats going on there, but it is running!!!
            Common issues that come to mind on high rpms in order of probability...

Throttle body getting caught on the boot clamps between 2-3 on the carbs. Turn the clams away from the center to resolve.

Out of sync carbs.

Leaking carbs (or were leaking and fuel is in oil now). This included bad orings inside, poorly seating float needle, or even heavily pitted carb internals that just won't seal.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

You rock! It was the boot clamp, thank you!
              89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

I guess the next issue is to tackle the carbs, I was able to find a repair kit on ebay for the super odd and rare BST31SS carbs but no diaphragm, however after reading these forums, I'm on the hunt for a BST33 or BSR32 as well as boots, box, and petcock (if I find a BST3)... I may try and tackle my turn signal issue while I look for air/fuel parts... Any suggestions other than EBay for used carbs and such?
                89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

You can get a fully rebuilt set from Arsenic or may be Kreylyn has a set.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I picked up a used set of 2006 carbs on ebay, as well as all the extra stuff needed to put em on the bike. I will break them down and dip them as well as replace anything that needs it when they come in. I took all the black tape off the wire harness and have found one completely broken ground and 2 other wires which were exposed... Hopefully after they are fixed I'll have turn signals. Lots more work but its a fun project, my 7 year old was out helping all afternoon, it was a good Easter!
                    89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

Made some progress with the bike, I got the used 06' carbs in and cleaned them (well they are sitting in chem dip as we speak) I am going to need a couple gaskets for the bowls, and I have #7 washers on hand so I'll change those out, but overall the carbs look pretty amazing!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XEHneWY.jpg[/IMG]

Got the electrical issues completely resolved, learned how to disassemble wire harnesses and cleaned the heck out of everything and replaced s few wires that were just way to gone, but now I have lights and signals, etc..

I got a new left handlebar switch and accidentally got the european model! but not a big deal, just rewired it into the old harness and its working well. I ordered a new chain and sprockets, as well as a few smaller things like a seat cover and mirrors.

My new issue is my petcock... it was not flowing on reserve, and continuously flowing when in prime (as it should) but also when on... I took it apart and the seals and diaphragm look OK, not great but no rips etc... I noticed a piece of metal all folded in the front side behind the plastic insert (image attached), I pulled it out and it was just a mangled piece of metal, I tried to fix it but its too far gone, do you all know if this is a replaceable part? if not K&L has a new replacement for $45 or I found a new suzuki one for $60... unless that part come with the rebuild kit?

Last edited by wespool; 04-26-2017, 03:19 AM.
                      89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

Oooops, that belongs in there. It is not a replaceable item. Now you need a petcock. You may be able to reshape it and put it back in.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok, thanks for verifying, ordered a new petcock, One more step to actually being able to ride this thing!
                          89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

Have made a lot of progress, carbs are rebuilt, new petcock, new fuel sending unit, new gas cap-keyed to match, went ahead and lined my tank with por-15 so it won't rust, R6 shock installed, new JT sprockets and RK chain installed, EBC brakes on front stock suzuki on back, new Galfer brake lines and rebuilt masters and calipers all the way around, got the majority of rust spots sanded and sprayed with rustoleum to prevent further rusting, has been a lot!

Now working on the fork tubes and i'm not sure if I have an issue... the springs, inside of the tube, spacers, and everything in there looks like it is all rusty? or at least rust colored? I have been scrubbing it but just wanted to check and see what you all thought of it, if it can be cleaned or of ot should be replaced?

89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

OK, well rusty fork inners seems to be a fairly rare thing... I believe that the damper adjuster on the fork caps are compromised, as is the seal on the damper adjusting rod... I cannot see anywhere else that can be a source of rust getting into the tube (unless it is the metal in the old seals, which I just checked and is exposed and rusted on both of the seals...) Either way, My plan of attack is to neutralize the rust, replace the fork seals, damping rod O ring and get one of these caps. "Suzuki SV650 SV 650 Fork Tube Caps part# 51351-33D00" they are readily available and 41mm so should work.

Tomorrow I wanted to get some oxalic acid and make a weak solution (like 5%), I don't think it would have to be strong at all as there is not any chunks or flakes of rust and I have had good results in the past, really just rust coloring all over everything. I could try a vinegar bath as it may be even a little more mild? Either way, I have both on hand but need to go get a container big enough for all of it.

So theoretically if I neutralize the internal rust all over everything, fix the possible seals where the rust was getting in, then the forks should be serviceable for some time? I do not think the rust was substantial as there is no evidence of pitting, just kinda dissolved in the oil and stained everything? I really don't know and can not finds mut on the inter web... Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Link to pics again http://imgur.com/a/4WoUa
                              89 Katana, 07 Boulevard

Comment

Working...
                              X