X

Hey y'all from The Tar Heel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey y'all from The Tar Heel

What's going on y'all! I picked up my 06 600 with 24k from a co worker a couple weeks ago. Two days into ownership I rode 240 miles to the beach! I'm new to sport/ touring bikes, I had a Harley a couple years ago and it just wasn't my cup-o-tea. I'm a stickler for maintenance and I already changed the oil, and cleaned and lubed the chain. Now I need to find out more about valve adjustment and carb syncing. How do I get to the plugs on this thing!? Did I mention I only paid $2k for it?

[
    2006 Katana 600, black, yoshi exhaust

I'm a recovering Harley rider. This speed thing is a whole new world to me!

Originally posted by Nightbane88 View Post
    What's going on y'all! I picked up my 06 600 with 24k from a co worker a couple weeks ago. Two days into ownership I rode 240 miles to the beach! I'm new to sport/ touring bikes, I had a Harley a couple years ago and it just wasn't my cup-o-tea. I'm a stickler for maintenance and I already changed the oil, and cleaned and lubed the chain. Now I need to find out more about valve adjustment and carb syncing. How do I get to the plugs on this thing!? Did I mention I only paid $2k for it?

[
    Take off the seat, then the gas tank. plugs are top side of the engine.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome....
      Remove the tank to access the plugs.
      The manual is available in mechanics 101
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Sweet. Sounds easy enough. I'm assuming the gap/plug info would be in the mech section? Is there a site for valve adjustment that has pictures? Or a video? How do I know it needs done?

Comment

Wow... im... shocked. During our beach trip I ran out of fuel at ~140 miles. That was gauge at the top of red. Switched to reserve and b-lined to the nearest station. It probably didn't help that my tire pressures were low (prepared for the gnawing about that) but even with 33/36 it doesn't seem to be doing much better. And I've also noticed after riding I can smell fuel. I'm going to pull the oil cap off and have a sniff of the crank case tomorrow. Is a jet kit obvious by chance?

On a side note, I found a video on the ole youtubes about valve adjustment. Just don't know it I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbane88 View Post
            Wow... im... shocked. During our beach trip I ran out of fuel at ~140 miles. That was gauge at the top of red. Switched to reserve and b-lined to the nearest station. It probably didn't help that my tire pressures were low (prepared for the gnawing about that) but even with 33/36 it doesn't seem to be doing much better. And I've also noticed after riding I can smell fuel. I'm going to pull the oil cap off and have a sniff of the crank case tomorrow. Is a jet kit obvious by chance?

On a side note, I found a video on the ole youtubes about valve adjustment. Just don't know it I need it.
            Depending on how it's ridden, expect 42-45mpg as the base. Add a passenger, a little more twist of the throttle, or non flat and straight roads, that will go down.

The tank holds 5 gallons. Most times reserve kicks in at around 3.5-3.8 gallons.

140 miles / 3.5 gallongs = 40mpg. I'm not seeing an issue with that.

A jetkit can be easily determined by accessing the top of the carbs. Take off the cap and pull out the slide. Check the needle. US model would only have 1 slot for the eclip. If it has multiples, it's a jetkit. You can usually determine what brand by counting how many slots the needle has.

In general, with the way the carbs vent on these bikes, and the heat generated by the engine... you will most likely smell fuel for a little bit after you ride. It's normal for several reasons.

That said, checking the oil for fuel smell is a really good idea. In general, checking everything about the new to you bike is a really good idea. Assume no maintenance has been done. Even if they said it was, don't believe it, don't trust it.

I'm in Weaverville nc... The pic kinda looked like you might be closer to Wnc than the coast?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks brotha!! Makes me feel a bit better. I was seeing some people saying 200+ miles per tank!

Unfortunately I'm in Winston Salem. About 4-5 hours from the coast

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Working...
                X