New from the north

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from the north

Greetings from Canada!

I just got an '06 600 Katana with roughly 15,500 miles on it. I'm looking to find out if there are any known issues I should look into getting resolved.

An example would be, my other bike, which is a Honda VTR 1000, I found out the chain cam tensioners are a known issue. All in all I ended up doing manual cam chain tensioners, petcock rebuild, float valve needles, K&N, jet kit, PAIR system removal, chain and sprockets and more.

Glad to be a part of the community!

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Zuki; 09-26-2016, 07:06 PM.

no major issues if the bike was maintained correctly. very reliable ride. some specifics use only OEM type fuel and air filters.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If it has a pair system, dump it. They're only on California smog certified bikes, so you dont need it, it's extra weight, and extra crap in the way when you need to work on the bike. Cam chains seem to have taken down a few bikes on here, but not with milage that low (cam chain tensioner spring failure). My 06 600 was fine when I replaced the spring out of paranoia about a year and a half ago around 85k miles. My '92 1100 spring was horribly horribly shot when I was bringing the bike back from severe PO neglect, only 23k miles. So...maybe best to check yours?

Whatever you do, don't run a K&N air filter or pod filters, they lean out the mixture out way too much, can't tune the flat spots out.
      If the bike was ridden hard and sloppily, 2nd gear shift dog can get worn and the bike can jump out of 2nd. Easy to tell if it's an issue. Accelerate hard to high rpms in 1st, shift to 2nd. Continue accelerating hard. Stay in gear? You're golden.

Might want to check and see if a valve adjustment was ever done, with mileage that low, likely over due for it. I've gone 15k miles between before, still didn't have anything out of spec, but was off my baseline where I adjust to. So you're probably ok, but better to know than to wonder.

My original oem chain lasted about 15k miles, might want to investigate the health of yours.

The suspension sucks. Night and day difference if you can afford it - buy a 98+ 750 shock (it's rebuidable, other kat ones aren't...) Have it rebuild/resprung/revalved. Buy fork springs correct for your weight. If you can splurge, get racetech gold valve emulators.

Other stuff...generic it's an older bike things. Change all fluids, re grease all gearings, lube cables, etc.

Sounds like you know your way around a bike, so apologies if any of that is stuff you already know

Welcome to KR!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        no major issues if the bike was maintained correctly. very reliable ride. some specifics use only OEM type fuel and air filters.
        Thanks for the input! This comes at a relief!

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        If it has a pair system, dump it. They're only on California smog certified bikes, so you dont need it, it's extra weight, and extra crap in the way when you need to work on the bike. Cam chains seem to have taken down a few bikes on here, but not with milage that low (cam chain tensioner spring failure). My 06 600 was fine when I replaced the spring out of paranoia about a year and a half ago around 85k miles. My '92 1100 spring was horribly horribly shot when I was bringing the bike back from severe PO neglect, only 23k miles. So...maybe best to check yours?

Whatever you do, don't run a K&N air filter or pod filters, they lean out the mixture out way too much, can't tune the flat spots out.
        If the bike was ridden hard and sloppily, 2nd gear shift dog can get worn and the bike can jump out of 2nd. Easy to tell if it's an issue. Accelerate hard to high rpms in 1st, shift to 2nd. Continue accelerating hard. Stay in gear? You're golden.

Might want to check and see if a valve adjustment was ever done, with mileage that low, likely over due for it. I've gone 15k miles between before, still didn't have anything out of spec, but was off my baseline where I adjust to. So you're probably ok, but better to know than to wonder.

My original oem chain lasted about 15k miles, might want to investigate the health of yours.

The suspension sucks. Night and day difference if you can afford it - buy a 98+ 750 shock (it's rebuidable, other kat ones aren't...) Have it rebuild/resprung/revalved. Buy fork springs correct for your weight. If you can splurge, get racetech gold valve emulators.

Other stuff...generic it's an older bike things. Change all fluids, re grease all gearings, lube cables, etc.

Sounds like you know your way around a bike, so apologies if any of that is stuff you already know

Welcome to KR!
        No apologies needed! Your input is very much appreciated. I will most likely take your advice and look into a suspension upgrade!

Thanks for that!
        Last edited by Zuki; 09-27-2016, 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Zuki View Post
          Thanks for the input! This comes at a relief!No apologies needed! Your input is very much appreciated. I will most likely take your advice and look into a suspension upgrade!
          DO the suspension, I just did my front forks, what a difference
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Can't really help you with your questions, but welcome to KR!

Comment

Did anyone have to jet after installing an aftermarket exhaust? I hear the Kat runs a bit more lean stock. Mine has a Yoshi exhaust on it.

Comment

Jet Kit is always good on a kat.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                X