X

Hey fellas...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey fellas...

Alright guys.....I finally stopped procrastinating and joined the forum. I've turned here many times and piggy-backed much good advice. Now I need some more. At my wits end. I've ridden SS's last 10 yrs. Now an '03 Kat 600 has fallen into my lap. Fun to ride. I've dropped a tooth in the front, added 2 to the rear for obvious reasons I suppose. Rest is stock. I've done everything I can conventionally think of to get this baby's front end up besides a lil' bunny hop.
    I know most will say "get a gixxer" for that business, we'll I have and I do. But I can't let it go. Yeah Yeah it's long and heavy but I know there are better/nuttier riders out there that have the experience/know-how to pull this off (safely) haha...Your thoughts gentlemen??? thanks guys!

You already answered what we will say. It's just to damn heavy and under powered. FYI wheelies on a Kat will cost you fork seals and a damaged motor, the oil pump pickup is in the front of the engine. Drop a B12 motor in it..
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

+1 wrong engine for it. Put a 50t rear on it and you can raise it, but then you still have oil starvation issues and weak forks. You're going to want to put in beefier springs at a bare minimum. Sure you can do it....but...just not even close to an ideal bike for it.

Also, just in case you weren't aware, going down a tooth in the front will make the chain wear out faster. Turning around the tighter radius puts extra strain on it.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks Gents! I suppose I just needed to hear it from others to verify the inevitable. It was just for kicks. Thanks for responding though. And yeah I upgraded to a 520 Vortex Tri-Glide chain, and an Aluminum rear. I understand it will wear faster but again, it's for kicks and it's a nice ride.

BTW... I didn't know the oil pick-up was in the front??? Thanks for that. I knew about forks taking a beating, but didn't think about seizing my engine due to lack of oil...(Always learnin' somethin' new from someone else)
        Last edited by bfrisbie82; 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X