Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Back on the bike after 30 yrs. ...oh yeah!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on the bike after 30 yrs. ...oh yeah!

Hi all fellow Katriders,

Yes, finally I got a bike ... again. It took me 30 years of patient (for the most part) waiting.
    Some of you folks may be be able to relate to this. After many self pep talks why I don't need one and heartfelt conversations with family hy it is irresponsible to ride one I admit I could not resist and bought my 2003 Suzuki Katana GSX600F.

Let me tell you it is a PROJECT bike for sure but I feel like a kid again.

I am pretty good with fixing old stuff but this is a new challenge and I certainly look forward to learning and contributing in this forum.

So wish me good luck!

Be safe & Cheers.

OOoo...

Welcome aboard, and back to 2 wheels. She run right now, or is it just in need of some tlc?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks Shpielers.

It needs a bit (or maybe a lot) of work. It was dropped off on a trailer and did not run at first.
      Leaky float = 2 Gal of gas and oil in crankcase. Drained, oil change, sparkplugs , new battery, carb cleaning, float level adjuctment and she running now like clockwork.
      Issue: burning oil as the engine warms up after a minute idling. Suspecting worn rings so I will go to the next step and do a compression test. I hope that is it and I can fix it with ring replacements. Else I have no idea what to look for.

The bike is in a pretty good shape otherwise. So if the engine is ok I will focus on the cosmetics.
      I am sure you will see my posts asking many questions.
      Thanks, Rob

OOoo...

Comment

Riding motorcycles isnt irresponsible. Riding motorcycles irresponsibly IS irresponsible. Good luck. Welcome to the site, and back to 2 wheels.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Congrats, I did 15 years between bikes lol. Good luck on the rebuild, I had a lot of fun and made some great friends with my 03 600.
          Kyle

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.

I would be surprised if you had a problem with the rings, that is not common at all with the kats, mine has over 70,000 and no problem there, but with these oil cooled bikes they do not like to sit running at idol for too long before they start to foul the plugs a bit, that may be what you are experiencing, although bad rings are possible if your kat was abused.
            Last edited by ZukiFred; 08-11-2016, 06:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome to Katriders

Comment

Thanks. 15 years wow. Congratulations to you. BTW nice bike. See you around in the forum.
                Cheers. Rob

ZukiFred - I think you are correct. My compression test seems to pass at 160 PSI. So I guess we are dealing with a valve issue. I appreciate your help. Cheers, Rob

Tx JIB. Rob

Well said MNC. I admit I learned a few things since my last ride on a bike and will put it to good use soon. Be safe and see you around. Rob
                Last edited by Katfan; 08-16-2016, 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

OOoo...

Comment

Working...
                X