X

New to site from Worcester Ma; first Kat... hell, first Suzuki

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to site from Worcester Ma; first Kat... hell, first Suzuki

Just here to say hello... just picked up a ridiculously cheap 01' 750 with right fairing damage (plow hit while parked during this past winter). It has decent mileage (14k), and was a daily (but seasonal) rider so it was driven up until parked. The owner gave it to his brother this spring who went and bought a $100+ battery for it, and when it wouldn't turn right over and ride, he listed it for sale.

I saw the ad about 4 days after being listed and decided to call despite assuming due to his asking price of $600 and figuring it was long gone (plus 2 hours away from me, and I don't have a truck or trailer!). Turns out it wasn't, and after hearing it ran/drove until parked and me telling him that is have to rent a truck and make the drive, I wasn't willing to risk anymore than $300 (cut his price in half figuring he would balk at it an throw 4 or 500 out there), he accepted and I went to pick up the next day...

I grabbed plugs, oil/oil filter and clear gas filter on the way home, changed them and it fired up on starting fluid, (AWESOME), but wasnt getting gas even to the new filter. I tore the tank off expecting it to be rusted out, but it wasn't... the petcock valve was frozen/seized and the "spring clip" on the knob side that pushed the valve out was broken. So I bought a similar but not identical used petcock from a local bike salvage place... which also turned out to be broken. So I pulled both apart, took the best pieces from both and cleaned them up, built into one working one, and reinstalled... now the bike is running on its own, but only under at LEAST have choke to make it idle... I can ride it or Rev it without choke, but as soon as I slow/stop/let off the throttle, it dies out. And while the motor seems to run like a champ, no smells, leaks, ticks, etc; throttle response is choppy or spotty to say the least while riding/reving under choke... and obviously I can't adjust it without the choke on, but the idle screw or adjustment knob seems to do nothing...

I'm figuring (guessing) that the main/pilot jets are all gunked up and blocked?! While I'm mechanically inclined, I'm the first to admit doing these "technical" jobs with little pieces and requiring synching/tuning intimidates the hell out of me; and when I screw up I get extremely frustrated... but as much as I'd like to pay someone to just do it for me, I do want to learn how and do it myself. Im also praying it only needs a good cleaning and not a rebuild that is need to send out/pay for. So if anyone is in Worcester, Massachusetts or close by in New England wants a few extra buck plus lunch/beer to supervise and drop your knowledge on me, PLEASE let me know. Otherwise I look forward to getting to know people here, hopefully meeting any that are local too with like minded interests/hobbies, and of course, riding buddies! Thanks

Welcome to katRiders....
    You need to clean those carbs.. Search for carbs 102 and follow it to a T, don't skimp or take short cuts, that always ends in a redo...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Good find.

Comment

The low speed circuit in your carbs, the pilot jets, are all dirty and need cleaning. I went ahead and replaced my main and pilot jets with new since they don't cost that much and those pilot jets are very hard to get clean. I think with cleaned or replaced jets your bike will run great. Good luck and what a fantastic deal you scored.
          2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
          2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
          1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
          1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
          1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Welcome to KR (:
            Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
            ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by retcol View Post
              The low speed circuit in your carbs, the pilot jets, are all dirty and need cleaning. I went ahead and replaced my main and pilot jets with new since they don't cost that much and those pilot jets are very hard to get clean. I think with cleaned or replaced jets your bike will run great. Good luck and what a fantastic deal you scored.
              It's not the jets, it's the passages that are difficult to get real clean. Fishing line helps for some.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Nice find. Can't beat the price

Comment

92Xjunker is right, those tiny passageways are the biggest culprit. I used guitar string, its alot harder than fishing line, so it won't kink as bad. Good luck on cleaning those carbs!
                  2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
                  2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                  1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                  1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                  X