X

New member from Colorado

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Colorado

I recently purchased a 1999 GSX750F from a friend for $365. The original engine threw a rod and was replaced with an engine from a 86 GSXR750. due to my friends dad cutting corners during the swap they couldn't get the engine to run right and had oil leaks so it was sold to me along with the original engine. I do have all of the fairings for the bike but you cant see them in the picture but the bike is a gold color. I have it a bit torn apart right now trying to correct some of the issues from the swap and catching up on maintenance (valve adjustment). If all goes good ill have a nice commuter bike by the spring. ( You can click on the image to get a larger picture)

That doesn't look like a 86 GSXR engine, that looks like a pre-98 Katana engine. As for the oil leaks, you'll probably just need gaskets and sealants, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Better get crackin' the weather's already heating up gradually.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

I found the leak to be the signal generator cover so that was easy enough. The engine code is R705 and the head has 30.5mm intake ports which from what I read the early oil cooled gsxr's had. I could be wrong tho, kinda new to Suzuki.
      Last edited by ilya4252; 02-18-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Welcome fellow statesman!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by ilya4252 View Post
            I found the leak to be the signal generator cover so that was easy enough. The engine code is R705 and the head has 30.5mm intake ports which from what I read the early oil cooled gsxr's had. I could be wrong tho, kinda new to Suzuki.
            I don't doubt that I may be very well wrong -- I know absolutely nothing about the Oil-Cooled GSX-R engines. Just from exterior looks it seemed to resemble a Pre-98 engine. Wouldn't be surpised in the slightest if the GSX-R's of the same era had merely different cams, different bores/stokes.
            - Purplehaze
            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

A bit of google-fu says that a R705 engine is, indeed from an 86 GSXR750. An 89-97 GSXF750 should have an R712 engine code.

...and welcome.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome. Not many of us from Colorado on here.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                  1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Working...
                    X