X

Noob Here...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Here...

Helo my name is Charlie ive actually been on this site for like a month now so decided to make a thread!, came across a non-working 1990 katana 600f like 4 months ago while surfing local craigslist ,wasn't really intrested at first since im more into older bikes like bobbers and cafe racers but this one had something that catched my eye so i said "fuck it " its only 400 bucks

when i got there the bike was perty much stripped air filter on one side tank on the other i still liked it and after negotiating with an 17 year old over a price i got it ..

as soon as i got home i got a starter fluid can i had in the trunk of my car sprayed the carbs and it tried to turn on cleaned carbs and re assemble and and its back on the road it still needs some tweaking to do for example it bogges out if i rev it too fast or after 7k rpm but eventally ill get it right !!

so there you go thats my intro !
    Attached Files

Hey welcome. Sounds like a problem I had sluggish at low rpms then just takes off like a bat outta hell need to spend some serious time cleaning the carbs it maybe tedious but it's worth it in the end

Comment

Originally posted by cvfd63jr4 View Post
      Hey welcome. Sounds like a problem I had sluggish at low rpms then just takes off like a bat outta hell need to spend some serious time cleaning the carbs it maybe tedious but it's worth it in the end
      Thanks for the welcoming man and its actually the opposite it takes off real quick but after 7k it starst bogging out bad i actually just change gear so i can advance ! any ideas?

Comment

Welcome! I went to school in San Marcos, taught high school for 8 years in Eagle Pass. Nice going on the bike...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome, check the emulsion tubes, diaphragms and Jet sizes.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome.
              Ditto emulsion tube - check for wear.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

so does anyone have a link to pics of the emulsion tube just to know what exactly im looking for other question how do i check if there bad? and is there a replacement or something??

Comment

Welcome to KR...

Comment

Originally posted by charlie77 View Post
                    so does anyone have a link to pics of the emulsion tube just to know what exactly im looking for other question how do i check if there bad? and is there a replacement or something??

This will explain the emulsion tube wear...

www.factorypro.com/tech/needle_jet_wear.html

The needle jet is what your checking for wear. It is where the large needle inserts. Should be perfectly round. Not round = wear.

BUT... That's not specific to the problem of no rpms over 7k. Emulsion tube wear is going to show between 4-7k, not over.

Once your past 7k rpms your not really using the needle anymore at all. It's all the main jet and air flow primarily, though spark/cdi issues could cause a problem as well.

I would check fuel flow first. No fuel filters on the fuel lines, lines not kinked, petcock working and flowing properly, so on.

Next I would verify you have the correct OEM airbox and proper OEM equiv air filter.

Also... test and verify; Do the problems happens exactly the same rpms every time, hot or cold engine, is speed relevant, is gear relevant, so on.

Test multiples of those options...

If it happens at always the same rpms, no matter heat, speed, or how long the bike has been running... then it's probably a spark/timing issue with the electronics - like a bad CDI for example. Timing is not adjustable, but issues with plugs, plug wires, plug boots arcing to the engine, bad coils, so on... can cause spark issues.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Working...
                      X