Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro and requests for recommendations

Hi all!
    Oregon year-round rider + commuter.

A little about my bike: 2001 Katana (of course) 600 fully stock except for the heated handgrips that I am currently installing.

I joined to find out all the cost-efficient mods that I can peform myself. I want to make my bike a sport-tourer/commuter.

Biggest question about the Katana is: What the heck are the metal rails for on the right/left side under the seat/tail area. It looks like the beginning of a hard pannier mounting rail that never got finished. Any takers?

First project to take on after the heated grips will be to fix the previous owner's maintenance mishap of stripping out the oil pan by over-torquing the oil drain plug. I would love some recommendations, I am considering the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve since re-tapping the pan for a larger size plug doesn't exactly sound all that fun.

Anyway, thanks for having me. I'll be around.

No experience using those, but I know others here have used them.

I'm guessing you mean mods to make your bike more comfy? Bar risers of some sort would be a great idea. The 750 Kats have a triple tree with build in risers - they can swap onto the 600. I'm hopefully doing that myself this winter. Smaller rear sprocket will yield a small improvement in mpg and fewer rpms - less engine wear and less noise. A Corbin seat should make your backside happier. SS brake lines might be a good idea too - especially if you commute withots of traffic. Installing a touring windshield (they're taller) or hand guards will keep more wind at bay. Racetech springs correct for your weight would make the bike handle better, but I'd imagine they'd make potholes and crappy roads a bit more bearable as well.

Those are all realitively easy things to install yourself. Some aren't too expensive, some are. Some things that would be cheaper and still improve things are of the maintenance variety - flush your brake fluid (It should be clear) and bleed your brakes for improved branding, change your fork oil for an improvement in handling, and sync your carbs for a reduction in vibrations.
    Those should all get done anyways.

About those rails - no clue.
    Anyways, welcome to KR!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The Grab Bar rails serve 2 purpose...

1. Handle for when putting the bike on the center stand, needing to lift the tail, or otherwise need a sturdy spot to grab on that isn't plastics.

2. They have the hooks for a bungee net to strap things to the back seat.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR!
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Ah, Grab bar rails! Now I know what they are called. The two mentioned purposes are exactly what I've been using them for. I'm glad I wasn't missing out on something.

And thanks for the comfort mods suggestions, I'm putting them on my list.

Comment

Working...
          X