No announcement yet.
X

California DMV Is Out To Kill Us All

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Tis true. Tires will happen soon. I just bought some for my CBR, which was in greater need of new meats. It's a pain because my tiny town doesn't have anywhere that mounts motorcycles tires, let alone balance them. I talked a tire shop into mounting some Shinkos on my FZR, but I had to balance them myself.

So yeah, I've been combing through the posts for the favored tire, while at the same time staying in my budget; watching for discounts.

Front tire is at the wear-bars, so I need to get a move on. This is a memo to myself.
    2006 GSX600F

Comment

I don't either, i bought the tools to do it. I installed and balanced 4 set so far,not all mine.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Addiction View Post
        Wow. So it's been nearly a year since the Kat caught my eye. Time freakin' flies!

I registered my ride in Nevada - what a state. They didn't care if I wanted to ride my bike across the former Soviet Union. They took my money - a fair and nominal fee - and registered my bike.

The fee should be coming up soon. A year on the Katana.

Most comfortable bike I have ridden. Excellent mirrors. Handles pretty damn good and I'm still on Macadams. Took 'er on a 200 mile day trip. Hit an area in HIGH WIND ADVISORY. Bike handles in a most fearful way in a cross wind. It was 35 mph, 50mph gusts. Worst I've ever been in, in any case. Oh yeah, it was night. And, oh yeah, I should have had a clear visor, not smoked. Didn't expect to make the trip last into night time.

The bike never missed a beat, never failed a start. Crappy tires worked amazingly. My backside was as comfortable as I could ever have hoped.

I love this big bike.
        I agree with the wind problems. I am interested in what you and others feel. With as much body work I would of thought the wind would feel like it would push you across the lane but I have found that it feels more like it blows the wheels out from under you. It isn't too bad if the wind stays steady but gusts can be surprising.

Comment

rschlegel: I noticed that sensation, too. I attributed it to crappy tires - I'm still on Macadams. I also have begun to wonder about the condition of my fork. There's no leakage apparent, but I'm starting to suspect something isn't quite right.

Hey, 92xjunker... what kind of tools are we talking about here? It's pain enough to remove dirt bike tires with spoons, do you use something different? I'd hate to chip and scrape rims. I'd LOVE to do it myself, though.
          2006 GSX600F

Comment

+1 to the wind. Same thing on my ninja 250. I suspect my heavier 1100 won't be as prone to feeling like the wheels are getting blown out from under me but it probably won't be until next summer I can actually ride it to find out. And I'm running PR4s so it's definitely not cause of crappy tires/grip. I'm honestly pretty used to riding in windy conditions anymore, been commuting through a high wind area for over a year now.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Same tools + a balancer from Ebay and a bead breaker from harbor freight. Local tire shop gave me some weights. I use bondo spreaders for protection with a round or two of duct tape, just to make sure. A compressor with a trigger type tire nozzle, pull the core out of the tire, blast it with 120psi air, pop...pop.. Mounted. Balance the tire... Done.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-29-2014, 07:13 PM.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Someday I'd like to be able to do this. So far, tires are the only thing I can't do myself. When I can afford a house of my own...with a garage...
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'm running pr3's so tires aren't the problem either. I'm pretty used to it now. I just redid front and rear suspension also.

Comment

92xjunker, thanks for the tips!

I guess I'm relieved that others have the same issues with the Kat in the wind. It's windy here quite often, and the main highway is right at the base of the mountains so it's always windy. Shoot, it flipped 3 tractor-trailers in April.
                    2006 GSX600F

Comment

Really just keeping updates of my bike in this thread.

New tires happened. Found out the local shop does indeed mount and balance. Don't know why I thought otherwise. Expensive, though. $80.

After much reading, purchased Contintental Motions. While not acclaimed to be the best or the longest lasting, they were still highly esteemed. And they were on sale; less than $200 for the pair. (Note to self, changed at 7997 miles.)

Finally an end to the Macadams, and what a difference. The front end feels like a different bike. To realize how much I'd been fighting the steering, and now it's so smooth and easy... and the bike feels lighter in turns.
                      2006 GSX600F

Comment

2015 Update

11000 miles. Conti's still feel great, holding up real well despite my mostly straight-road commute.

Registration happened again this year. I considered going to the CA DMV and having it transferred from Nevada. I thought about how it would be like: Take a number, wait, transfer the registration, wait 6 weeks for it to come in the mail with a new license plate, remove the plate, replace the plate...

I got the Nevada reminder, two minutes later I was re-registered online, two weeks later I had my new Nevada sticker. So, that's how that went down.
                        2006 GSX600F

Comment

Welcome to the forum and your new bike. Sounds like you need to clean the carbs, especially the pilot jets, which have a tiny opening that easily gets clogged up. I just went ahead and replaced mine with new ones since they don't cost that much. Good luck with your rebuild.
                          2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
                          2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                          1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                          1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Thanks!

I'm not so much a new-timer now. I just keep updating this old thread for kicks. I still have a lot to learn, and many dumb questions to ask.
                            2006 GSX600F

Comment

Since this is kind of my motorcycle log, I'd like to note that at 15745 miles, my Conti Motions are worn and I'm shopping for new tires. 7748 miles. They were on just about as long as the Macadams it came with, but worked far better.

I was really going to buy new tires soon, but the valve stem broke right off and I figured that was my sign to do it now.

Also,
                              I get about 35mpg city. About 50 on highway.

I had to replace the front fender. I repaired stress cracks a couple of times, but they were just too numerous.
                              2006 GSX600F

Comment

Michelin PR4 is a great tire.
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X