X

Buying my first bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying my first bike

Hello everyone from central Pennsylvania!

I just got a new job where I am commuting a lot and don't get reimbursed for gas and I am also about to start college so I want to buy a motorcycle to save gas and to have some fun on. I frequent other forums for cars so I know how useful sites like Katriders can be. I have been doing a ton of research and for a first bike that will get me decent gas mileage, with low insurance and maintenance costs, a Katana would be perfect for me.

I have found a 2002 Kat that is only 15 minutes away with 23.5k miles and has never been wrecked or laid down for only $1,100 after talking to the guy and getting to know him a little. The only thing it needs is a front tire. Does anyone know of any good websites or places to buy tires? And also I would like to get a windshield for it shortly after buying it, are they hard to install and are the ones on ebay viable choices?

For what you want (low maintenance, low insurance, decent gas milage, a lot of commuting ability), you are spot on with a Kat. And this forum will most definitely answer question that you may have concerning the Kat. I would say to have someone that is very familiar with bikes (hopefully, Katanas) take a look at the bike and give it a looksy. A trained eye can see things that you may miss. Not that the seller is trying to weasel you or anything. Just gotta protect your own butt. Anyway, there are A LOT of places online as well as local places that you can go for tires. I like BikeBandit and usually recommend them to people for an array of products.
    Extra life.

Comment

Seems like a good deal. Bikedandit.com is a decent place for tires. I'd recommend either Michelin road pilot II or IIIs. They're both great. (road pilot or pilot road, its one of the two...dont remember which) They grip well and last a long time. Have almost 10k miles on my rear tire, still has lots of tread left (mostly commuting highway miles)

Windshields should be a pretty easy install, just pop off the front fairings.

If you're going to be on it a ton, you might want to get a taller windshield (not sure why you're getting a new one, but it's something to think about) and bar risers (if you're getting a 600. If you're getting a 750, never mind, they're 3/4" higher up already)

Enjoy the bike!! and GET GOOD GEAR and WEAR IT!
      (see this guy's story - could have been much worse

comment #49)
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I will check that site out and keep the recommended brand in mind.

rockat - I am actually taking a buddy of mine who has an older E with me to test drive it and to give it a look over.

I will be getting it the weekend after this coming. It is the yellow color. Not sure how I feel about that but I THINK it is growing on me. lol.

Comment

don't worry man, I was looking at yellow bikes and didn't like em because...they are yellow. But you later realize that its just a color. Now I have a yellow/blue gsxr and love it! Whatever it is, make sure the bike is in good condition, you take the time to learn the bike/riding basics, and please....BUY and WEAR your gear.

Post up pics of the bike once you get it/one! because...
          - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

Well here is a link to the bike I am getting. And the thing that really sucks is that I don't really want to ride it much at all until I at least get a good helmet, which leads to another question, where can I get a good affordable helmet?

Comment

Originally posted by CCmatters View Post
              http://altoona.craigslist.org/mcy/3746186480.html

Well here is a link to the bike I am getting. And the thing that really sucks is that I don't really want to ride it much at all until I at least get a good helmet, which leads to another question, where can I get a good affordable helmet?
              nice! Keep her clean and bright! As far as buying gear, you can go anywhere online really and grab gear. It will be A LOT cheaper than getting it from a store. I'd suggest you check out some local shops first, different brands have size variations. A Medium HJC helmet might fit you properly but a Arai might be slightly larger but still marked as a Medium. Different brands also give you different fitments, depending on the shape of your head. Not sure if this is universal, but at least here in Illinois, when you completed your MSF course and have the card that states you completed it, you can get a discount at ridersdiscountDOTcom. I like checking out STG[dot]com because Jason does great reviews on the items. But definitely rule #1 would be to figure out what size you are and what brands fit you perfectly. Start by viewing prices and trying on sizes at your local shops, then jump online and buy what you want.

Do you have any gear at all? Another thing, your mentality might not be the average but that's a GOOD thing! Reason I say that is because a lot of people will still ride without owning the proper gear, thats a big NO NO!
              "All the gear, all the time" (ATGATT)
              Last edited by DaneG320U545; 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM.
              - = Dane = -

Comment

Well to be honest I have been in a bad car accident and a few scares in snow so I respect the road if that makes any sense. And I know the simplest mistake on a bike can mean death sooo... not to sound like a panzee but I'm a little intimidated about going highway speeds on a bike. hahaha.

Oh and I have a carhart jacket that could POSSIBLY be considered "gear" but i'm not 100% about that haha. I am checking out that site you referred me to now though.
                Last edited by CCmatters; 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

What I was trying to say was that it is good that you don't want to ride until you have a good helmet. Anyway, just make sure the gear and especially your helmet, fit you properly. Happy gear hunting

For tires, you can check leatherupDOTcom. Not sure if it's the "best"choice but it gives you somewhere to start.

Edit: if I may suggest, get a leather jacket and good leather gloves that cover your wrist bone, which are also known as "gauntlets"
                  - = Dane = -

Comment

Noticed craigslist ad has been deleted by author...did you buy it?
                    sigpic

Comment

Carhart is NOT gear! Lol. For a jacket, definitely get something with at least CE armor in the shoulders and elbows and something with a back protector. And definitely get a DOT and SNELL rated helmet.

Some people don't wear jackets, which I don't do. But, definitely at least wear a helmet.

Good luck!
                      Extra life.

Comment

So I stopped at our local "major" used bike dealer who also sells gear and he answered a ton of helpful questions, including giving me info on a local safety course to partake in. He also has really nice helmets for only 70 dollars that were like 100 dollars on DR. They are DOT rated not SNELL but still.

Comment

Originally posted by CCmatters View Post
                          So I stopped at our local "major" used bike dealer who also sells gear and he answered a ton of helpful questions, including giving me info on a local safety course to partake in. He also has really nice helmets for only 70 dollars that were like 100 dollars on DR. They are DOT rated not SNELL but still.
                          Cool beans. SNELL+DOT is nice, but DOT works too I was probably overzealous in my earlier post. Thing is, gear...like a bike is a personal decision. How much do you want to protect yourself? I don't have riding boots, but I do look for deals and I will jump once I find one that works for me. I also don't wear leather pants, but that is obviously much better than the jeans (and overpants when its really cold) that I wear. Sounds like you're on the right path though with the safety courses and looking at gear. I did PA's PAMSP and I thought it was fantastic. May be worth a look. Oh, and it's 'free' (paid for with our tax dollars)

Extra life.

Comment

Yeah the guy at the dealership did tell me that it was free which is pretty awesome. I mean our state gives money away from much less beneficial things than this. Haha.

Comment

I picked up a Scorpion 500 for about $115 at Cycle Outfitters here in Indianapolis. I also got some gloves, which I am super picky about.... they are speed and strength but they don't go over my wrist bone, just up to it. They are thin in the feeling areas but also have pads to absorb shit if you go down.

Comment

Working...
                              X