X

Greetings from IN :)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from IN :)

Hello everyone, my name is Jon and I am new to the website. I found it and joined it a few days ago while researching Suzuki Katanas. If everything goes right I'll be the owner of my first motorcycle, a 1999 black Suzuki Katana, on Monday! I know it's nothing too fancy but I don't have a lot of money to spend on this hobby right now and I don't want something crazy fast & powerful! I think it will be perfect!

I have wanted to ride for a long time but it has always just not worked out for me for one reason of another. I did quite a bit of looking and reading before deciding on which bike would be a good starter bike to purchase. I finally decided that a Katana would be a great bike to grow with and started looking around for one. I ended up finding one and hopefully the current owner will be riding it up Monday for me to take ownership of!

As I mentioned before I'm new to the website, however in my brief time with you I have read hours and hours of content. I am not a mechanic so I know very little about motorcycles however this forum has increased what I now know exponentially! I read through many walls of text by CyberPoet, so much in fact that I started feeling like he was just another guy I knew! I was moved when I read the post of his passing that it actually brought tears to my eyes.

The members here seem so friendly and helpful that I felt like I needed to join! This website is the best place in the world for Katana and Suzuki information if not all motorcycle information! As I am a beginner rider this site has made me feel so much less nervous about the whole riding/bike owning scene.

I am 32 years old and live in Indianapolis, IN(Zionsville). I work in a school district as a Systems Administrator and I enjoy my work. It can be pretty stressful but overall I do feel like I am having a positive impact on the kids, teachers and parents. I am hoping to relieve a lot of stress on some nice evening rides soon!

Nice to meet you all.

Welcome! Katana is a great starter. Good luck!

Comment

welcome to katriders.
      YES I did just kick your car door in for almost killing me.i bet next time you get into your car you will rember to look out for bikes

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders Jon
        Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Comment

Originally posted by uncltommy77 View Post
          Welcome! Katana is a great starter. Good luck!
          Welcome to KatRiders, but no, they're not. They're on the heavy side, and (at least for a new rider) they have a fair amount of power.

If you're careful you'll be alright, but I recommend something smaller/lighter to learn on for at least a season (GS500, gz250, FT500 (honda), v-twin under 1000 cc, ninja 250/300, cbr250, older nighthawk, etc)

The Katana is a great bike (I kinda want another one at some point) but it can be a handful for a new rider.

ETA:
          Welcome anyway from another Hoosier, if you end up with a kat (especially 98+) and need some help feel free to shoot me a message.
          Last edited by Squisher; 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM.
          Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
          H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
            Welcome to KatRiders, but no, they're not. They're on the heavy side, and (at least for a new rider) they have a fair amount of power.
            Not always true, I found @ 47 years old and 6'2" @ 280 pounds ,The Kat was my first introduction into biking, after riding a Honda C90 15 years ago. I then Rode a Honda CG125 for a year to pass my test in 2011 in the UK.

I found it perfect as I knew only small lighter bikes. My feet sit flat footed as the ride is low and still has enough power to get me along...

I just think you need to take your time learning the bike and ride safe!
            Good luck
            Last edited by ManQu; 04-14-2013, 02:49 PM.
            I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by ManQu View Post
              Not always true, I found @ 47 years old and 6'2" @ 280 pounds ,The Kat was my first introduction into biking, after riding a Honda C90 15 years ago and then a Honda CG125 for a year to pass my test in the UK.

I found it perfect as I knew only small lighter bikes. My feet sit flat footed as the ride is low and still has enough power to get me along...

I just think you need to take your time learning the bike and ride safe!
              Good luck
              Well, if you've ridden before then yeah it's not so bad...

I started riding a little later in life, and my very first bike was lightweight and low power. I got the Katana the next season and was VERY glad I started with something light and modest.
              Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
              H. L. Mencken

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am a pretty strong guy so I don't think the weight will bother me. I'm a big guy at around 290lbs but I'm only about 5'10 so I think the weight of the bike will be decent compared with the weight of me. I have a stocky, wide strong build so hopefully this is the right move for me. If not, I'll just sell it and start over again!

The 99' 600 I'll be getting tomorrow has 32K on the bike but the motor and carbs were just professionally rebuilt and only has 200 miles on it since that rebuild. The bike also has a plethora of new parts on it. Hoping this transaction goes down smoothly for me and I don't get hosed. How many horses does a stock 99' 600 Katana have?

Comment

Welcome to Kr!

Comment

Welcome!
                    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
                      Well, if you've ridden before then yeah it's not so bad...

I started riding a little later in life, and my very first bike was lightweight and low power. I got the Katana the next season and was VERY glad I started with something light and modest.
                      Sorry I edited my post as only passed the UK test a year before last and only had 12 months on a 750
                      I'm outa here

Comment

Well you are a million miles ahead of me! This is my first street bike ever. I'm kinda nervous but I'm ready. I figure if I respect the machine and don't act like a tool I should be ok.

Comment

Working...
                        X