X

Newbie! Looking at getting a Kat.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie! Looking at getting a Kat.

New guy here from the Missouri/Kansas area (live at school in Kansas, but home is in Missouri). 20 years old, but I know I'm not invincible.

Completely new to riding and motorcycles in general. Will be taking the beginners safety course to learn and to get my license this month. Already have good leather boots, and just bought a riding jacket.

Looking at getting a Kat as my first bike, wanted to join the awesome community here (have been lurking for a month or so).

Happy to be here! Also if anyone has any suggestions for a brand new rider I'd love to have them. I take safety very seriously and have been doing everything I can to educate myself. Input is always welcome.

Hi and welcome my advice would be to buy something cheap and cheerful around the 400cc mark to begin with, something you can afford to throw away or sell on for the same money after a few months of gaining experience.

Good luck and ride safe, Engelskmannen.
    Carpe Jugulum...
    1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome , i bought my wife a ninja 250 ex i love the bike it light and easy to ride. Good luck

Comment

Welcome!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome!!!

Comment

I'm primarily looking into a Kat because 250ninjas never pop up for sale around my area. No one ever starts on a bike they should, so the beginners bikes never cycle back around. And I don't want to buy new. There is a 1996 Katana 600 for sale here fairly reasonably priced it seems, and come with a spare parts bike.

The one thing I worry about with the Kat is that I may be to small for it (stand about 6ft and weigh about 150lbs). Now I can lift a good amount for my size, but am taking weight into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by EF5.0 View Post
                I'm primarily looking into a Kat because 250ninjas never pop up for sale around my area. No one ever starts on a bike they should, so the beginners bikes never cycle back around. And I don't want to buy new. There is a 1996 Katana 600 for sale here fairly reasonably priced it seems, and come with a spare parts bike.

The one thing I worry about with the Kat is that I may be to small for it (stand about 6ft and weigh about 150lbs). Now I can lift a good amount for my size, but am taking weight into consideration.
                Let me see, your 6ft tall and wondering if your too small for a Kat. Hmmm well I'm 5ft 7 and about 130lbs ringing wet with my clothes on, and I ride the 750 version - enough said?

I would suggest you get something a bit smaller and cheap to start e.g. a naked 250 then keep that until you fell confident enough to ride the Katana.
                I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brocher View Post
                  Let me see, your 6ft tall and wondering if your too small for a Kat. Hmmm well I'm 5ft 7 and about 130lbs ringing wet with my clothes on, and I ride the 750 version - enough said.
                  Haha thanks for that, was just going off of what I'd read.

I'm still on the hunt for a 250, but here is the Kat. http://seks.craigslist.org/mcy/3662493790.html

From searching around it doesn't appear to be original paint, otherwise from those pictures it looks OK to me. I won't ask for more pics or info until I'm closer to my BRC course, but thought I'd at least let you all see what was on the block so far.

Comment

If you are going to learn on a Kat, pull the plastics off for the first couple months/few thousand miles. Even if it's cause you thought you had the kickstand down all the way and you didn't, the bike is likely to go down. On that note, it may happen when you're actually riding, so wear All the gear all of the time. Even short 5 minute rides.
                    Might be a good idea to YouTube how to pick up a bike too, it's really not hard if you know the proper technique. A bitch if you don't though.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Taking off the plastics is a good idea, I will keep that in mind.

The gear issue won't be a problem. Safety is my #1. I already have a jacket bought, and will be placing my order on a pair of gloves this week sometime. I'm waiting to order a helmet until after my class so I have a better idea of what size to order.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a pair of riding boots/shoes that will be comfortable to walk in, or to stick with my leather steel toe boots (downside is they are a little clunky)

Comment

Get a pair of proper motorcycle boots, it is night and day difference when toe shifting. You want to set yourself up for success.
                        -Brandon

Comment

Welcome to Kr! Looks like that bike has some 750 parts on it.

Comment

Got curious so I went ahead and texted the guy. He said the bike has 25k on it, 1.5k since he had the rings rebuilt and the cylinders rehoned, new back tire, and new gaskets.

The bad is that he says the "detent ball" is messed up and it wants to skip third gear. Clear title.

Comment

Working...
                            X