KatRiders Newbie (1995GSX600)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KatRiders Newbie (1995GSX600)

Hey all.
    My name is Les Baker and I own a 1995 GSX600. I'm from Kenai, Alaska which is a smaller town about 150 miles south of Anchorage. I've always grown up on dirt bikes, 4-wheelers, side-by-sides, snowmachines ect... you get the picture. Living in Alaska however, buying/owning a motorcycle isn't the dumbest thing on earth, but you're very limited to when (and where) you can drive because of the seasons. That being said I never took initiative to buy a motorcycle because there was always something better I could spend my money on. That all changed when my moms best friend offered me her Katana for $500 dollars! She new I was a broke college kid and gave me the deal of a lifetime. I bought some leather saddle bags, and a hard-case for another $200 haha

By this point you must be thinking that this thing (for $500) must have been the biggest piece of junk on earth, but you couldn't be more farther from the truth. This bike has a little over 5000 miles on it and more than half of those I've put on myself since early June 2012 when I purchased it. The lady who sold it to me is a tough gal no-doubt, but this bike was way to big for her. She laid it over twice, one on each side and scraped up the decals pretty good but she was not harmed in either accident.

This bike here also saved my life. Although I hail from Alaska, I go to school in Oregon. I make the trip through Canada each year (I've done it 6 times now) with my 04' Chevy Colorado and usually a truckload of crazy people haha This time however, on the way to Oregon from Alaska after the summer, my axel sheered straight through right at my wheel baring when I was driving through MIDDLE OF NOWHERE CANADA at 3AM. Me and my friend hadn't seen a car behind us or in-front of us for probably a good 300 miles so getting picked up probably wasn't an option (the fact that hitch-hiking is illegal in Canada didn't help either). So what do I end up doing? Throw that bike out of the back and hit the negative degree freezing (by this time) 4AM morning. I thought the closest town was about 70 miles and didn't find out I was wrong until I was putting the bike into it's reserve tank after around 170 miles... Long story short I finally get to a tele where my girlfriend picks up and comes to rescue me and my friend (who by the way I left in my broken truck on the side of the road). $1300 to get the truck into town, $1300 to repair, $695 ticket on my motorcycle in Canada while waiting 4 days to get my truck repaired. This is how I have FUN apparently hahaha

This has turned out to be a lot more then I planned on writing so if you've made it this far congrats and I'm sorry I'll wrap it up. The reason I'm even on here is because I was parked at a 7/11 in Corvallis, OR and 2 guys from Alaska no-less stopped me and asked about the bike. I was telling him how I wanted to paint it but really wanted to find other fairings ect. ect. and he mentioned KatRiders and said that either he might have been a member, or his friend was. Regardless, I'm not new to riding, but I'm new to Katanas and I really want to take care of this thing.

The last oil-change was with royal purple (I'm a high-rev rider) but I need to go get a tune-up and get everything all sweetened up. I'd like to paint it white with maroon effects but we'll see what that turns into. The guy at 7/11 mentioned something about getting a wider rear tire and that sounded pretty good haha I'm sure I'll find different threads about what to put on here but I really want to trick this thing out with the high-performance pieces and make it look and feel like I know it can.

Thanks guys,
    Les

Welcome and good luck
    Ride like it's your last ride
    sigpic

Comment

Dude, What a deal!

Welcome to KR,

Have fun with your Katana...
      2000 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Welcome. Sounds like you had quite the adventure on that trip.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to the group, Nice buy on the bike.

Comment

Welcome and good deal on the bike. Definitely needs a paintjob.

Comment

Welcome

Engelskmannen.
              Carpe Jugulum...
              1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Welcome to KR! I'm curious as to why you got a $695 ticket on the Kat? Were you street racing or doing wheelies? LOL J/K
                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                  Welcome to KR! I'm curious as to why you got a $695 ticket on the Kat? Were you street racing or doing wheelies? LOL J/K
                  I was staying in a hotel in Fort Nelson while my truck was being towed in and fixed and so I wanted to check out around town. I had my pj's on and no helmet. The first and only Mounty I see for the whole entire trip, besides the border patrol, of course is pulling into the side-road I'm on as I'm pulling out of my hotel. I don't get 10 feet before I hear the "whoop whoop" and see cherries. He pulls me over for not wearing a helmet, (you're not required by law to wear one in Alaska) but I also didn't have my license or registration or insurance on me (in fact, I had just bought the thing and rode it sparingly in AK so I didn't have insurance OR it registered in my name yet). He gave me a double ticket in that if I could show insurance and registration in a 2 week period I would only get a "failure to produce insurance and registration". If I couldn't prove I had it, the ticket would be "not having insurance and registration" which would obviously be more expensive. On top of both those tickets was a helmet violation too.

I ended up leaving Fort Nelson not paying for the ticket and not really worrying about it until I got to the US. Course by the time I got insurance and it registered it was too late and wouldn't work anyways because it wasn't prior to the ticket. SO. Now I gotta pay up the next time I come through Canada or I'm flyin' home hahaha

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                    2002 750 Kat
                    2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                    2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                    1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                    2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

1. Generally, when they give you 2 weeks to produce proof of insurance they're giving you a break provided you get insurance by the end of that two weeks. Same thing with registration.
                      2. Might ought to pay those fines BEFORE entering Canada again. Could save you a whole bunch of hassle.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        1. Generally, when they give you 2 weeks to produce proof of insurance they're giving you a break provided you get insurance by the end of that two weeks. Same thing with registration.
                        2. Might ought to pay those fines BEFORE entering Canada again. Could save you a whole bunch of hassle.
                        Ya I knew he was trying to give me a break, but since I didn't have my bike registered or insured before the ticket he gave me the shaft because I put it on my policy AFTER the ticket haha he wasn't to thrilled about me trying that one. And yes I agree, paying the ticket prior to the Canada trip would be wise. I've been searched and had my truck basically taken apart at the border before. They don't joke around that's for sure.

Comment

Here there's three levels of fines for driving without proof of insurance. The cop writes the same ticket either way but then the judge assesses the fine. If you can show at the court date that you had insurance but just didn't have proof with you at the time of the ticket it's like $35. If you got insurance within the next two weeks then it's $125 and if you still don't have insurance as of the court date then it's $275. Same thing with registration although I got away one time without a ticket at all when I'd neglected to put the new sticker on my plate after renewing my registration. The cop let me fix it on the spot and didn't write the ticket.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Great deal on bike !! Welcome to the group

Comment

Great story! How'd your hands hold up for that 170 miles? What gear you have?
                              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                              X