X

Greetings from Alabama

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Alabama

New Kat owner and new to the site. I found this board while looking for info online and I must say there is a ton of resources to be had. I am more of a lurker than a poster, but that is just me.

Some info:
    I traded this bike for a busted jet ski with trailer from a coworker. Good deal for both of us. What I do know is the bike is a 1992 GSX600F. There is no telling how many PO's have touched this thing so I decided to start taking it apart. The bike ran really well (like holy crap, this thing runs awesome) but I am not about to trust my life on a 20 year old bike without going through it first. I have been working at an automotive dealership as a tech for over 10 years and own a side business repairing boats (Yama and Merc Marine certified) so I know my way around a wrench. That being said; cars are cars, boats are boats, and bikes are bikes. I don't kid myself into thinking I know everything I need to know about these things so if I can't find it in the search menu, expect questions.

Before I got into it, I checked my vins and engine codes. I trust my bud, but you can never be too careful. Everything matched up, except one thing. The engine code was off. R736... I did some looking around and if I am reading this correctly it looks like it is a 1998 750 engine? The engine is also silver in color (with some terrible black over spray) so that also hinted at something being different. Not that I am complaining, but it just caught me off balance.

Everything on the bike (except the engine) seems to need work. I have mismatched bolts, bias tires, bad rear caliper, bad clutch cable and perch, bad rear spring/shock... the list goes on.

My intentions. This is going to be my get around on sunny days bike. This bike will be as mechanically sound as possible on the least amount of money. Function follows form in my book, so I really don't care how ugly it is as long as it rides nice and is as safe as a bike can be.

My plan/to do list.

-New rear spring/shock. I read the R6 shock is pretty damn good and cheap at the same time so I may go that route. I am not a heavy guy, but I am tall at 6'3" 175 lbs so the lower spring kinda bums me out. I am open to suggestions here.

-New tires. I have set my mind to the mish pilot road 3's 120/70, 150/70 combo. The wheels are in good shape so no real reason to go to a post rear wheel at this time.

-The fairings are shot, so I am just going to leave them off. One of the PO's had a love affair with rattle can black. They are UGLY.

-Rebuild all the calipers/MC's and go to SS brake lines. I do this on the cars I own, so it just makes sense.

-Rewire. God, I hate an ugly wire job. It makes me vomit a little looking at this sad, sad harness.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get them uploaded unless there is a more preferable spot to post them. I think long term build is the right spot for a build thread around here. If not, just point me in the right direction.

So that is it. I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the bike or whatever. I'm a pretty easy going guy and this place has been my go to site after work for info so expect to see me around. I may not post much, but I'll be here.

Welcome and I hope you will be able to get it running. I live in columbus ga and maybe we can get get together sometime and ride when you get done.

Comment

Welcome from NC!!! You do have a 98+ motor if it's silver...Good Luck with getting it sorted out

Comment

Welcome to the one and only KatRiders ...
        2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
        Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
        "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
        Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
        Veteran of the United States Air Force.
        "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Welcome to KR!
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome!
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

frankenstein kat............... cooolll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,welcome
              im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

So here are some pics. I swear this is out in my garage, the couch in the background belongs to the dogs now.

Comment

Working...
                X