X

from norman, hello...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from norman, hello...

hello. nice to meet you all. seems like a nice group of people. without an absurd amount of ego. but surely just enough. I bought an 01 600 kat two months ago. i've probably been having a little bit more fun than i should be. wait, no i haven't. maintence has gone smoothly, (did my oil change, chain tension, wheel alignment, ...) i do have one question i haven't seen a topic on yet. I noticed when my bike is off, i can hear what _seems_ to be the brake pads rubbing (lightly) on the rotor as i spin the wheel. i don't know if this good, or not. when i turn the bike on, well, theres too much noise for me to tell if theres any contact. i suspected that when the system is on, the pads might retract a mil or 2 or a 1/2. of course, the brakes work fine otherwise. i can't help but assume constant friction on them is _not_ going to save me any money. i'd appreciate any input. just curious. the pads sure don't rub on my mountain bike. (and shouldn't) oh yes, also, my understanding is if i hear my valves ticking, it's ok, if not ideal. and if they are ?clapping?, they are probably off kilter. (what i hear i would call a faint ticking, but only when i roll the throttle a little bit, not when i'm coasting) not something i'm immediately concerned about. but it'd probably be good to know if should whip out the tools and knock it out sooner than later. for any input, thankyou. oh, is it bad when smoke comes out of the exhaust and the oil light comes on when i'm doing 70?

ooh. i mean _maintenance_. i would've hoped that 7th grade education would've served me better than that.

Comment

Wouldn't worry too much about the brake pads . There's no brake pump or anything like that , so they kiss the rotors all the time . As long as they're not dragging , they're doing what they're supposed to . And I've read/heard everyone saying these bikes sound like sewing machines , so . You're PROBABLY fine . But if smoke is coming out of the exhaust and the oil light is coming on , then yeah , you're probably about to blow up . Might wanna pull over then and investigate . Oh , and don't watch your exhaust pipe when you're going down the road at 70 . :
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hi cop, and welcome to Katrider!!
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

brakes, ...

thanks for the suggestion md, but, except when i'm checking the five or seven, i'm _always_ looking forward. like this: hmm. yeah, everything looks good on the machine. (no smoke, seriously) i was just kinda suprised by the brake rub. i don't know, maybe car's pads kiss the rotors too. hey, does someone manufacture a rearward mounted horn to blast at people who come to an abrupt stop 3 centimeters from your license plate? thanks for the input md. and thanks for the welcome katgirl.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders cop..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Yeah , I figured the smoke and oil light thing was a joke . Lucky for you it is !

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

everyone watch your step...I think there is a cop around

Comment

Geez it's the fuzz !

Comment

Welcome to KR.
                      Keith Paton
                      Red Kat 600 00 SOLD
                      13 GSXR750

Comment

Naw, don't worry, those are my initials.

Comment

Welcome to Katriders
                          Kyle

Comment

Greetings and Salutations, Ummm... Charleston O'Brian Pendersnoggin. Just guessing.
                            "Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

Comment

Welcome to the forum
                              Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Working...
                              X