X

First big kat.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

It seems that restriction is a bit a of dark art. No-one seems to have a huge amount of information about this. Its odd, because all riders from the age of 17 to 21 must have this restriction. The restriction is definatley in the carbs and simply stops the bike reving over 9000. Is there much power below this rpm ?

Comment

Unless you plan to go like crazy, up to 9000rpm should be fine for normal riding.

Comment

Welcome!!
        In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Restriction

Hi guys. Just a little update on the restriction. I had the washers fitted to the carb yesterday and took it out for a blast to see where the differences lie. They are fitted between the carb and the engine reducucing the gap to a teardrop shape (i'm unsure of the relevance of this particular shape). Here is the listing for those who are interested

The bike still very much the same to 7000rpm. It then seems to gradually lose power as you approach 9000rpm after that the engine seems to rev but without any additional power being committed to the rear wheel. Flat out the bike pulls consistantly through all the gears and tops out at 110mph.

If i hadn't ridden the bike before the restriction the power would seem very native and still runs sweet. There is certainly a performance difference, but if anything the bike seems to have a more civilised distribution of power it doesn't have the kick it once had even when you nail the throttle. I've heard the fuel economy is greatly increased by this restriction and that the bike can happily run 70mpg, however i'll have to review this and report back with the findings.

Still, only for 2 years then i can take the washers out and restore the kat to her former glory. I've already touched an indicated 150mph (on the track) before the restriction was applied - maybe 2 years of this will help me respect the larger engine a little more.

Comment

I find no real difference between 7000 to 9000rpm my power doesn't drop off after 7000 I believe that's the difference. I have gotten over 140mph or 240 km/h not sure if everything is stock in the jetting but still pulling ran out of straight road coming up on slower traffic on a closed course. It's not what you ride it's that you ride

Comment

welcome

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Working...
                X