X

carburetors leaking fuel!!! please help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carburetors leaking fuel!!! please help

I traded my rm250 for a 1991 katana750 about two months ago. When i looked over the katana it seemed fine, ran good and and it felt awesome! I rode it for a month before i noticed that the left carb was leaking fuel out where the air box connects to the carb. Well i shut it off and went inside for five minutes or so and came back out and started it again. no fuel leak. Well i went out of town for a week, and as soon as i came home i got on the bike and was going to take it to the store and while i was warming it up i smelled gas, looked down and it was leaking again. So i shut it off and it started leaking more, just for about 30 seconds or so. well i left it sit there for a couple of more weeks ocationally starting it and still leaked. so two days ago i decided to tear it dwn and find out whats up. took the carbs out, took the float bowl off and took out the bowl, shot some carb cleaner in a bunck of holes and put it back together. The leak stopped!....on that carb. now the carb next to it started leaking!!! so i took it back apart, did the same thing to that carb as i did to the first. put it back together without puting the air box on so i could see what was going on. now both carbs start leaking. fuel is coming out of the two holes in the back are. i am so confused. took the carbs off one more time. took the bowls off and went down to a cycle shop and got new o-rings to put on where the float plugs into the carb. cleaned it all out with carb cleaner and put it back on the bike, now get this... the carb on the right side and the two other ones that were leaking out the tiny holes in the airintake side of the carb are leaking. PLease does anyone know whats going on????

Take off your fuel lines and blow into them. If you are able to pass air then the needle/seats are bad. If you cant blow through them then your float level is probably too high. You will need to clean your carbs thoroughly if you find some crap in the bowls. You can take the rack off the bike and after you clean them tip them upside and try the blowing method before putting the bowls back on. Float height is a critical setting alot of people skip. Oh, and change your oil.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

how much would it cost to take to a shop and fix?

Comment

If you already had the carbs apart you can replace the float valves yourself.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

It's probably a stuck float needle, and will keep happening if you have junk in your gas tank.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
          X