New to riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to riding

Hey everyone,

I just got my motorcycle licence this month and the first bike that caught my eye was a 1989 suzuki katana 750 and the first forum I found was this one. The bike I'm looking at runs but the owner says it has problems with the 4th cylinder and it loses compression. For such a cheap bike I don't mind spending a half grand or so but I just want to know the best and worst cases (engine swap or hopefully only sleeving the cylinder).

I'm about to buy the 750 for about 650 usd and I just want to know your opinions!

Chris

Look around on ebay n see what you can find for used motors for an 89-97 750 and that will give you a pretty good idea. It's probably cheaper to swap the engine if it is bad than to rebuild it unless you are able to do it yourself(labor for free). Other motors will work with little modification but the 89-97 is pretty much identical.

Welcome to KR and you'll find most all your answers here with a little searching.
    sigpic
    1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Worst case I could think of here is riding it and the engine seizes .. that would not be good.

Welcome to KR!
      2008 ZZR 600 (His)
      Black
      Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
      Red
      Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I'm almost convince that I'm going to get it and I was also thinking about a 1992 gsx-r 750 engine swap.

What do you guys think about the 1989 katana 750. Is it a good bike it terms of cost of repairs and reliablity, as well how long is it approximately (I'm wondering if it will fit in front of my car in the garage)? And most importantly is it FUN?

Comment

Originally posted by snipexd View Post
          Thanks for your replies. I'm almost convince that I'm going to get it and I was also thinking about a 1992 gsx-r 750 engine swap.

What do you guys think about the 1989 katana 750. Is it a good bike it terms of cost of repairs and reliablity, as well how long is it approximately (I'm wondering if it will fit in front of my car in the garage)? And most importantly is it FUN?

Kats in general are good solid bikes, and fairly easy to upkeep.

If your going to do an engine swap, I would first consider which body style you like better for the Kat.. the 750 or 600 model. There are tail differences.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I found a good deal for the 750 ($700 cad) so that is most likely the one I'm getting. The pictures look pretty good, its the silver one with black and red stripes.

How much labour would a gsx-r 750 engine swap involve, would I just need to bolt in the engine? (I know, it sounded dumb the second I typed it)

Comment

welcome to KR
              Joker
              The newest addition to the Family!
              sigpic
              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Sounds like a good deal even if your willing to out the extra 500 or so to fix the cylinder.
                Welcome to KR!
                1999 Katana 750

Comment

hello and welcome
                  sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Welcome to KR! This site is awesome
                    "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                        Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Welcome! For that amount of $$$, it sounds like a good deal, especially if the rest of the bike is sound.
                          2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                          BMC Notorious 918 HT
                          2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Welcome to KR
                            THE DOC
                            RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                            Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                            mistake when you make it again.
                            sigpic

Comment

Welcome.
                              -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X