X

First Bike....99 katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bike....99 katana 600

hi guys, the name is john. i just picked up a red 99 katana with 15k for $1950....pretty good deal. This is my first street bike so im just learning. ive had dirtbikes all my life as a kid so im not a complete noob. the bike looks real good and runs good except the idle is a lil rough and the throttle response isnt very good. it seems like it runs better after about 25 min of riding it. i dont know much about bikes but im thinkin the carbs need cleaned, the guy i bought it from said it has been sittin for 2 years with an old tank of gas. I read the carbs101 thread and i think im gonna stay away from tryin to do it myself. it looks a lil complicated.....especially since i dont really know anything about bikes.

welcome to KR.

did you drain out the old gas? you should check the tank for rust and you may want to run some Seafoam through there before you start messin' with the carbs. however with a used bike that's been sitting if you think it needs something it probably does.

Comment

Welcome!
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome John. Get the carbs cleaned and synchronized. Should run fine after that.

+1 on checking the tank for rust.
          2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
          BMC Notorious 918 HT
          2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

hello and welcome
            sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

+1 on the Seafoam. Welcome to KR!
              "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Welcome! Good luck with your Kat!

Comment

Welcome to KR! Red IS the fastest color.
                  Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Working...
                    X