X

Hallo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallo

, just bought my first Kat and am looking for some advice. I've got a '98 600 w/ 4K miles on it. The biggest problem is that it has been sitting for the last 5 years and can't get it started, just turns over. I know that there are posts all over this site that would help me, and I have been looking, but time is limited due to registration regulations for US armed forces here in Germany. All of my past bikes were new/relatviely new so maintenance was minimal. I've worked on cars pretty much all my life, but never ripped into a bike...until now. Any advice on where to start? Also, does anyone know of any sites that ship to APOs? TIA for the help, can't wait to get back on two wheels again. Rob PS-Sweet site!

Welcome to KR! Im sure that We can help you get it on the road Ricky tick Quick!
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Welcome to KR! Someone on here should be able to help you very soon. Wish it could be me, but my knowledge (so far) of bikes is limited though. I am working on changing that, thanks to KR!
      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR.
        Check for spark - check for fuel to carbs, but most likely, you'll need to tear the carbs down for a thorough cleaning.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR, Rob! You didn't give too much information, but first thing to do would be dump any gas that has been sitting in the tank, and add fresh gas. More than likely, if the bike wasn't properly stored (fresh oil, drained all gas), you have varnish in the carbs. Try the fresh gas along with some Techron or Seafoam and set the choke between 1/2 way and full, and give that a try.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Welcome to KR!
              Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Welcome to KR and good luck.

Comment

welcome to KR!
                  1999 Katana 750

Comment

Welcome to the site!

Comment

All, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll do as recommended by diavolo and go from there. Just ordered new tires, the old ones were dry rotted and the front was cupped pretty bad. Also, got a new battery and some iridium plugs since the old one was dead and the plugs were in bad shape. Hopefully I'll find some Techron or Seafoam at one of the local dealerships. BTW, was looking at adding a jet kit and syncing the carbs while I am in there cleaning, once I get it home (1hr down the road). Is this tough or require special tools, or can one figure it out. I assume someone has posted this somewhere on here already. Anyway, I'm beat so I'm headed for bed. Gotta get up and take the kids to a castle tomorrow. Thanks again, Rob

Comment

Working...
                      X