X

Evenin' all! '98 Black Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evenin' all! '98 Black Kat

Hi all. Had my bike for about 2 years now, but only just found this site after searching GSXF on ebay and saw someone selling single seat cowls with a mention about this site!

Anyway, my bike......

My nan....

My missus....

My bike (until last Thursday)....

I bought her (the bike, not the missus! ) when I worked in town and there was no parking, but now she's used mainly when it's nice out for both the better half and me to get out and about, so she's had black screen, stainless downpipes and rear luggage rack and 42 litre topbox added to hold both helmets when we park up.

Just had one of the front forks rebuilt as it was leaking. However, she's now currently poorly and, after going from running nicely to running rough and then not at all (over the space of 30 minutes) she now refuses to start for me. With the choke all the way out, she's coughing as though about to start but just won't fire.

I've checked fuel, air and sparks, but can't track it down. I don't believe it's compression or timing as it wasn't a sudden loss of one cylinder, but a gradual loss of all.

I've also checked the coilpacks and plug cap resistance, and can now only think of the pulse generator, but I'm not convinced. I will do a forum search, but if anyone wants to stick up any ideas along with their "Hello" message, that'd be ace.

Welcome to KR!
    Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

welcome

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome!
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR - check for rust in gas tank, which would plug your carbs, check fuel filter for blockage? You say you have fuel so petcock is working?

Cheers
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Welcome to KR
              THE DOC
              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
              mistake when you make it again.
              sigpic

Comment

hello and welcome
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Hello. Well, you need fuel + air + spark...so if you have air and spark, you are missing fuel. When was the alst time the carbs were cleaned (not cleaner run through them, but taken apart and cleaned?) Petcock, is it working right? Maybe a vacuum leak? Did you pull the tank and leave a line disconnected or maybe one was damaged?

And post up your problem in the Mechanics 101 area. Lots of guys check that and don't look through the intros.
                  Last edited by CenCalKat; 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM.
                  2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                  BMC Notorious 918 HT
                  2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                    Hello. Well, you need fuel + air + spark...so if you have air and spark, you are missing fuel. When was the alst time the carbs were cleaned (not cleaner run through them, but taken apart and cleaned?) Petcock, is it working right? Maybe a vacuum leak? Did you pull the tank and leave a line disconnected or maybe one was damaged?

And post up your problem in the Mechanics 101 area. Lots of guys check that and don't look through the intros.

Cheers mate. Yeah, I'm going to pull the carbs off and try and clean them out. To be fair, in the two years and 6k miles I've done on her, I've never cleaned them out, so might be time. She's on 39k now so probably well overdue!!

Will Post it up in Mech101 when I've done that and if it still fails.

Comment

Welcome to KR
                      The supreme happiness of life is the conviction of being loved for yourself, or, more correctly, being loved in spite of yourself.
                      http://myspace.com/solsticio
                      www.facebook.com/solsticios

Comment

Working...
                      X