X

N00b here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N00b here

Hey guys my name is Chris I'm from Fort Myers, FL but currently living in Tampa going to school. I picked up a 2000 Katana 600 for my first bike and its awesome. However, on Friday night leaving work i was going around a large corner and a raccoon walked out in front of me and i tried to avoid hitting him by swerving the bike hit a wet spot in the grass and went down. Anyways I'm fine i have a real bad abrasion on my left hand and knee, as well as a high ankle sprain on each foot.

OK so hear comes the question for you guys since I'm new to the motorcycle scene. From the looks of the motorcycle it looks like the only real damage is to the front fork and front rim as well as the fairings. Now I have been looking on ebay and other sites for new parts so i can get the bike back on the road. As far as the forks go are there and other forks in the suzuki lineup that are interchangeable, like the older Katanas or a newer one.

Any help with getting my bike back on the road would be great and extremely appreciated.

Chris
    Originally posted by chrisgreer23
    Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
    2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
    1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
    2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
    1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Cyber Poet is in your area. He is really good with Kats. Glad to here you are mainly ok.

Down goes another one. Bad year so far for KR
    ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

Welcome to KR!
      1999 Katana 750

Comment

Welcome! I believe Thazkat has 'Busa forks on his Kat. maybe do a search for the build thread or send him a PM.
        2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
        BMC Notorious 918 HT
        2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
          Hey guys my name is Chris I'm from Fort Myers, FL but currently living in Tampa going to school. I picked up a 2000 Katana 600 for my first bike and its awesome. However, on Friday night leaving work i was going around a large corner and a raccoon walked out in front of me and i tried to avoid hitting him by swerving the bike hit a wet spot in the grass and went down. Anyways I'm fine i have a real bad abrasion on my left hand and knee, as well as a high ankle sprain on each foot.

OK so hear comes the question for you guys since I'm new to the motorcycle scene. From the looks of the motorcycle it looks like the only real damage is to the front fork and front rim as well as the fairings. Now I have been looking on ebay and other sites for new parts so i can get the bike back on the road. As far as the forks go are there and other forks in the suzuki lineup that are interchangeable, like the older Katanas or a newer one.

Any help with getting my bike back on the road would be great and extremely appreciated.

Chris
          Hi Chris,

If your wanting to stick with straight bolt up and go parts, you need to get forks from a 98-02 Kat 600 or 750cc.

Just about anything else is going to require some light modding, or full swaps of the front end. Some other front ends will fit easier than others.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome to KR, sorry to hear about your spill.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Hi Chris,

If your wanting to stick with straight bolt up and go parts, you need to get forks from a 98-02 Kat 600 or 750cc.

Just about anything else is going to require some light modding, or full swaps of the front end. Some other front ends will fit easier than others.

Krey

So i found these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-97...ht_1364wt_1195

Has anyone done the swap to the previous gen?
              Last edited by Crash; 05-31-2009, 12:07 PM.
              1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold

Comment

found "these" what?
                2000 Katana 600 (Sold )
                2008 GSXR 600

Comment

link fixed
                  1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold

Comment

I believe the front rim for the 88-97 was only 3 inches wide, while the rims on the 98-02 were 3 1/2 inches... Though I never attempted to "downgrade" (no offense to any pre riders out there, I just don't know what else you would call putting older parts on a newer system) I would have to agree with Kreylyn's comment that if you want straight bolt up and go parts, then you need to get forks from a 98-02 Kat 600/750. If you are able to fit the 88-97 forks to your bike, then you would probably have to run the narrower front tire which may adversely affect your handling. Like Pacerman said though, Cyber is the man when it comes to these types of scenarios, hopefully he will chime in here soon. I understand your desire to get your bike back up and on the road, but I would personally continue my search for 98-02 forks.
                    2000 Katana 600 (Sold )
                    2008 GSXR 600

Comment

Well i may be getting all the right stuff from arsenic as he acquired a 2001 so im hoping to get all the parts from him. Man i love forums they're the best
                      1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold

Comment

Welcome to KR. Sorry to hear about your wreck; glad you're alright.

Comment

Welcome to KR! I went down on the 22nd so I feel your pain
                          Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Working...
                          X