Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Im new here, Did 13,000m in 11 months- now have 22,105 with some questions...........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im new here, Did 13,000m in 11 months- now have 22,105 with some questions...........

im riding a 96 kat 600. ive replaced sprockets, chain, etc with routine work(plugs,tires, lines) had to replace a carb (impossible to find) and brakes f/r are on the way. I was wondering what else is possibly going to come up because im getting into the higher mileage factor.

the bikes in great shape, i bought it from the second owner about 1 1/2 years ago with about 8100 miles on it. everything is stock ALMOST (see garage), pipes and all. ill probably ride it another 6-11 months and sell it to my girlfriend and go buy a newer bike 99+. let me get this out there- i want a newer model year bike for the following 2 reasons, 1. Fuel injection & 2. Modern suspension components and handling characteristics.

i havent put much into it because i know im buying a newer bike soon anyway and want to save and put the money into the new bike, but once my girl gets it ill be doing all the mechanical and maintaining anyway.

any suggestions? on possible future issues, or possible bikes to consider upgrading to? I take good care of the bike and it runs like it came of the showroom floor.

thanks guys.
    Last edited by FlyingWheelsCycleCourier; 05-14-2009, 10:23 PM. Reason: forgot something

welcome to KR! Good luck on getting a new ride!
    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

carbs

Was looking for parts for my 97 750 and saw complete sets of carbs on ebay for your bike, prices weren't bad.

Comment

And I thought I put some rubber on the road. 13,000 miles in 11 months! Wow.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. As long as you don't abuse 2nd gear, and keep up with the regular scheduled maintenance like oil changes, valve adjustments, cable lubing etc, the bike should last and remain fairly trouble free for a long time still. If I'm not mistaken, some people on here have got 100k miles or more out of these old technology Suzuki oil cooled engines.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Sprague's right...take good care of it and with basic maintenance and the occasional bottle of fuel system cleaner, you'll get many more miles out of it. Welcome!
              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
              BMC Notorious 918 HT
              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

22k is high mileage ? Yeah , um .... wake me up when you break 50k , THEN we'll talk about "higher mileage"......
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Despite what md86 says, for motorcycles in general, 22k is high mileage. Most of the non big touring bikes never see more than about 25k. The biggest thing that causes trouble with a motorcycle, though is letting them sit still for extended periods. You apparently don't have that problem. Living in Bellingham, you probably see a lot of rain and maybe some salt. A good, fairing off cleaning and waxing would be a good thing to do every once in a while and, with the miles you're packing on it you should pay close attention to the swingarm pivot, steering bearings and fork seals/dust boots. Make sure the bearings don't go dry and don't let cracked or knicked dust boots ruin your fork seals. As long as your dust seals stay good the seals, themselves should last a good long time before they finally wear out. Check your brake pads often, too. From what I remember from when I lived in Tacoma, you'll need the brakes a lot!
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                    Bill
                    1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome!
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR
                        THE DOC
                        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                        mistake when you make it again.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          Despite what md86 says, for motorcycles in general, 22k is high mileage.
                          Only because most squids crash them hard before they see that many miles . Accepted average for a moorsickle is 5k/year . That means that a 2004 is already old going by that .....
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome to KR!!
                              This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                              BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Working...
                              X