X

Hello all

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

Hello from arkansas! My name is Mike, and I am joining this forum cuz I just bought a 89 kat 750 for 400.00! Sounds like a deal huh? Well.....it was taken to a shop with 2 weak cyls. shop put pistons&rings in and cust. never came back.....so I got it for the price of the slugs and rings.
    Plot thickens. Get it to the shop and it won't start. It has no compression, no vaccuum, but good spark. Long story short I put the cam chain on right and that brought up the comp and vac, then I pulled and cleaned the carbs 3 times before it would idle. It has yosh exhaust, but the needles included in the jet kit were the wrong material so they ate the living crap out of the needle jets. I got stock needles and jets coming, but before they got here IT EXPLODED.
    Typical katana bull sh**.......blew out 2nd gear and the bearing next to it.
    So I got 1200 miles on my 37k mile katana and it tried to kill me. my big question for you guys is: What do I do? buy an engine? buy parts to fix it?it's $200 just for 2 gears and a bearing PLUS I have to put that crap in. I found a new-ish motor for a grand, but don't quite have the $$.
    Sorry for the novel, but I gotta vent. I'm very depressed that I only got 1200 miles in the first 3 weeks of owning this thing, and now It's a hell of a mess all over my shop/shed/carport/bedroom ect.
    89 kat 750 turned kat 1157
    soon to be 89 GSX1157R
    01 bandit 1200 motor
    36mm cv carbs
    89 gsxr750 "dot" head (coming soom)...**** ebay
    89 gsxr750 cams (coming soon)...**** ebay
    modded yosh exhaust
    PPG Viper GTS blue
    EBC HH pads F&R
    Pirelli Diablo strada tires
    shovel chopped (I didn't do it, but I gotta fix it)
    ...and pods

Originally posted by JHONNY_ICE_420 View Post
    Hello from arkansas! My name is Mike, and I am joining this forum cuz I just bought a 89 kat 750 for 400.00! Sounds like a deal huh? Well.....it was taken to a shop with 2 weak cyls. shop put pistons&rings in and cust. never came back.....so I got it for the price of the slugs and rings.
    Plot thickens. Get it to the shop and it won't start. It has no compression, no vaccuum, but good spark. Long story short I put the cam chain on right and that brought up the comp and vac, then I pulled and cleaned the carbs 3 times before it would idle. It has yosh exhaust, but the needles included in the jet kit were the wrong material so they ate the living crap out of the needle jets. I got stock needles and jets coming, but before they got here IT EXPLODED.
    Typical katana bull sh**.......blew out 2nd gear and the bearing next to it.
    So I got 1200 miles on my 37k mile katana and it tried to kill me. my big question for you guys is: What do I do? buy an engine? buy parts to fix it?it's $200 just for 2 gears and a bearing PLUS I have to put that crap in. I found a new-ish motor for a grand, but don't quite have the $$.
    Sorry for the novel, but I gotta vent. I'm very depressed that I only got 1200 miles in the first 3 weeks of owning this thing, and now It's a hell of a mess all over my shop/shed/carport/bedroom ect.
    Fix it .... You'll be better of in the long run as you will know more about your bike and the quality of the work done. If you get it ready for the road in time a couple of us are coming into the Harrison area on the night of June 5th and riding in that area for several days. Let me know if you can join us.
    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Welcome to KR! Sorry to hear that, but you did get a heck of a deal on it. If you decide to fix it there is a ton of info here to help you out. If you decide not to then parting it out will surely get your money back and there are lots of Pre owners on the forum. Good luck in your decision.
      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Welcome to KR
        THE DOC
        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
        mistake when you make it again.
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

the ride sounds awesome!! I am a member on several forums, but have never been able to meet anybody from a forum in person, PLUS I don't know anybody local to ride with yet. Are you guys coming down from branson or springfield?
            soon to be 89 GSX1157R
            01 bandit 1200 motor
            36mm cv carbs
            modded yosh exhaust
            PPG Viper GTS blue
            EBC HH pads F&R
            ...and pods

Comment

Hello Mike, welcome to KatRiders
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome Mike!
                2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                BMC Notorious 918 HT
                2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Mike!
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Anyone want to sell me a trans for my 89 kat?????
                      soon to be 89 GSX1157R
                      01 bandit 1200 motor
                      36mm cv carbs
                      modded yosh exhaust
                      PPG Viper GTS blue
                      EBC HH pads F&R
                      ...and pods

Comment

the ride sounds awesome!! I am a member on several forums, but have never been able to meet anybody from a forum in person, PLUS I don't know anybody local to ride with yet. Are you guys coming down from branson or springfield?

Kansas City area. Sent you a PM
                        If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

We are coming down from Kansas City area. If you want more details send me an e-mail

[email protected]

BJ

Comment

welcome to KR! and good luck getting the Kat together
                            sigpic
                            2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Working...
                            X