X

Thank You Katriders.com

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You Katriders.com

I just wanted to take a second to say how thrilled I am to have discovered this site, and although none of you know me, you have already
    helped me.

The other day I started the process of my first SOLO oil change on my 2004 Katana 600. I am the original owner and my buddy always did mine when he was doing his. Recently I moved away and I took my bike to a bike shop last year.

I decided to give it a whirl on my own. When I went to remove the oil drain plug, for the life of me I could not get it off. Then I started to google, and discovere KATRIDERS.COM

I read thread after thread of all the horror stories of this frikkin drain plug.
    I started to worry that the last mechanic torqued it on too tight. Because when my buddy did it, we never ever had any problems.

I read all the threads, ran out and purchased a torque wrench and I got a 17mm sockt to make sure the other one I had was not stipping the head.

I came home and finally got the drain plug off. YAY! Drained the oil....changed the filter.... (suzuki stock) with BelRay semi-synthetic

This time I made sure to put the plug back in at 16.5 lbs on the wrench...(thanks to Katriders.com members!!!)

Later I decided for fun to call the mechanic that last did my oil change and I asked him how much torque he uses on Katana drain plugs....his response..... "ahhhhhhh, what does it matter? I just torqued it on nice and good" ......

I informed him of the nature of oil pans cracking and drain plugs stripping and he said he never heard of it before.

Needless to say I will do my own oil changes from now on. And although it sounds like such a simple task, it was very re-assuring to have all the information from Katriders.com at my finger tips, walking me through it.

So, I have decided to join Katriders.com and be a part of the community.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S should I buy the Fumoto Valve ?

Welcome to KR and glad you have found a home here.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

nice man, I had the same issue (non-kat related) with my car at the local jiffy lube doing my oil changes, they ended up stripping my drain plug out and I didnt find out about it until i kept seeing oil puddles where I parked.

Since then I will always wrench on everything myself in my mechanical capicty and wont pay anyone unless I dont have a lift or trhe major tools to do it.

Back to bilke talk, but yes this site has been a great help to me as well and I hope I can add to this site with my experiences wrenching on these machines.

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KR.

The post in this sight have helped me in choosing the right parts and things to look for.
          Welcome to KR and may all your rides and maintenance be safe.

Comment

Welcome! A fumoto valve will make future oil changes much easier...once you get it installed.
            2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
            BMC Notorious 918 HT
            2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
              Welcome! A fumoto valve will make future oil changes much easier...once you get it installed.
              +1 on the Fumoto valve and welcome to KR!
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

And we will be here for ya when it comes "valve adjustment" time. Welcome aboard!
                It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman88 View Post

Later I decided for fun to call the mechanic that last did my oil change and I asked him how much torque he uses on Katana drain plugs....his response..... "ahhhhhhh, what does it matter? I just torqued it on nice and good" ......
                  Really ? Wow .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Could not agree with you more, this site is a blessing for all Katana owners.
                      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR! Now about that valve adjustment...
                          Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Welcome to KR
                            THE DOC
                            RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                            Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                            mistake when you make it again.
                            sigpic

Comment

welcome to kr
                              Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Comment

Working...
                              X