X

i need help 93 katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help 93 katana

i have a 1993 gsx 600f katana and i cant get it to run corect thought it was rich it had 118 jets with k&n air filters and a yoshi slipon ihave to rev the **** out of it to get it to move and will bog and die i put in 12.5 jets same prob i did sync carbs still didnt help! i an relley good with car eng but after this i am lost i need help

Pull your K&Ns and you might not have an issue. Kats don't like 'em. Do a search.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

I agree with Londob.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

why dont they like them if your eng is tuned to them it should not be an isue

Comment

Originally posted by stever View Post
          why dont they like them if your eng is tuned to them it should not be an isue
          The general consensus is...

Katanas need air flow restriction on the carb intakes for them to work correctly. Pods or other K&N filters by design do not provide enough restriction, and so makes them nearly impossible to tune right.

K&N also do not do a good job at actually cleaning the intake air, allowing dirt to cause damage to the engine.

There are many threads about this as it relates to Katanas.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

so ther is a good possibility that the hole prob is the k&n if so how do i test this with uot spending all sorts of cash on oem air box and filter are there any other filters that will work beter?
            Last edited by stever; 04-10-2009, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing here, but....

Reducing the air flow/filter surface of the pods (you are running pods right?) should increase the nessasary vacuum for the carbs to improve performance. By that I mean... Partially cover the pods with paper or something to semi block off the overall air flow. Using paper and rubber bands you could theoreticly make adjustments on the fly to see what differences it makes.

I am not suggesting this as a permanent fix, just a cheap way of seeing if indeed that might be part of the issue. I'm not even sure it will work, so I'll let someone else more knowledgeable comment on that.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok i will try that

Comment

Welcome to KR

DITCH THE PODS!
                  THE DOC
                  RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                  Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                  mistake when you make it again.
                  sigpic

Comment

I got rid of the pods bike is a lot beter but it seems to brake up at 6500 to 8500 rpm any idias

How do i start a new thred
                    Last edited by stever; 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i got the stock air box off of a parts bike if you want it give me like 15 plust shipping and its yours i have airfilter and everything in it let me know

Comment

Originally posted by stever View Post
                        I got rid of the pods bike is a lot beter but it seems to brake up at 6500 to 8500 rpm any idias

How do i start a new thred
                        Dude, you gotta get an airbox and drop the K&Ns completely. There are tons of threads on KR that will tell you the same thing if you do a search. There's only one guy on KR that I know of who says he was able to tune his Kat properly with pods, but I kind of doubt what he's saying a little. It's best to go with what works for the masses here.
                        -
                        -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Working...
                        X