X

Advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice?

Hey everyone! I am an 18 year old senior in highschool from Vermont. I just sold my 93 ninja 500 and bought a 2000 kat 600....basically because I am a newer rider (a nighthawk 750 being my heaviest experience) I was just wondering what advice anyone would give me for the transition? I know that my kat weighs 450 pounds and am hoping it won't affect me too much since I have double practices everyday for polevaulting (lifting at 6 and sprinting at 3)

So any advice for getting used to this new bike would be greatly appreciated!!
    -db

You will get used to it. 1/2 hour on the bike and your weight fears will be gone.

Comment

+1
      93 katana stock

Comment

yeah, the weight really becomes unnoticed soon enough. just be careful with the low speed stuff for awhile until you get fully comfortable with it. but once you're at speed, you don't notice it. as with any bike, work on the clutch control a lot in the beginning.
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Grab a friend, have them spot you. With a fullish tank, sit on the bike and lean it left as far as you can before your friend needs to help you. Do the same to the right...

Be careful to not drop it, but this is really the only situation where there is much difference from the previous bike.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by SilentTJ View Post
            yeah, the weight really becomes unnoticed soon enough. just be careful with the low speed stuff for awhile until you get fully comfortable with it. but once you're at speed, you don't notice it. as with any bike, work on the clutch control a lot in the beginning.
            Just take it at your own pace and you'll be fine.

Comment

Hey, I use to polevault in high school and college
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
                Hey, I use to pole vault in high school and college
                I was a cross country runner myself. but I did watch a pole vaulter stop the pole standing strait up and climb it. Funniest think I ever saw.

Comment

Good thing you practice lifting cause the Kat is one beast of a bike to lift onto the centerstand. (for me anyway)
                  Let's go riding!

Comment

There's a sticky or thread on here somewhere on how to lift the Kat onto the centerstand properly.
                    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I know, i have read it, watched videos, watched other people do it, and everything else. I'm just not strong enough to do it. Or else i'm just too dumb to do it correctly.
                      Let's go riding!

Comment

i dont find watching helped me with getting it on. Its all a matter of doing it once or twice then remembering how you did it. i'm 17 weighing in at 130 and can get my 750 up no problem fully gassed up and everything. And that weighs 512lbs according to an industrial weighing machince

Comment

I just got a 05 750 Kat last week. I had been riding a 99 GS500E for 3 years. The first thing i did when i got it was; I sat on it and slowly tipped it to the right, then to the left just to get a feel for how heavy it is. I'm a 260 pound defensive tackle so I figured I had tortured my GS500 enough, it was time for a real bike.

Ride Safe,
                          Michael
                          I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
                          Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
                          My prayers go out to his family & friends.
                          He is the best there was and ever been.
                          RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

Comment

Originally posted by Silence View Post
                            i dont find watching helped me with getting it on. Its all a matter of doing it once or twice then remembering how you did it. i'm 17 weighing in at 130 and can get my 750 up no problem fully gassed up and everything. And that weighs 512lbs according to an industrial weighing machince
                            Yup, not hard at all. I find pushing down on a centerstand with one foot while lifting the back at the same time works every time.
                            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                              Yup, not hard at all. I find pushing down on a centerstand with one foot while lifting the back at the same time works every time.

As for the Kat being heavy...... you'll never notice it unless you dump it.
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X