No announcement yet.
X

hello from Maryland

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh grrrreat. Just what MD needs. Another person who buys a bike for "speed potential" on public roads who's already dreaming of turboing it to ride like a COMPLETE arse... Whoo hoo! I can't wait!

*Note to self* Get squid-cam ready at all times...
    -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
      Oh grrrreat. Just what MD needs. Another person who buys a bike for "speed potential" on public roads who's already dreaming of turboing it to ride like a COMPLETE arse... Whoo hoo! I can't wait!

*Note to self* Get squid-cam ready at all times...
      wooo youre an asshole!!!!!!!

how do you know i am going to ride "like a COMPLETE arse"?
      just because i like speed and i want fast bike you automatically assume that i am irresponsible...or maybe its just because im only 18 years old...

WOW i didnt know there were prejudice people on here... :bigfinger :flipping: :smt097

Comment

You're the one that states you can't go fast enough in your Tercel. If you want to go FAST, take it to the track. There's already enough people around here flying in and out of traffic on the highway which make John Q. Public think all sportbike riders are idiots. Pardon me, but from the sounds of your original post, you were hoping to join their ranks. I apologize if I misunderstood you.

Oh, and I'm prejudice now, eh?

I'm also assuming that you're the one who joined my board and make such a wonderfully intelligent post. If so, you really need to buy a clue, not a bike.
        -Steve

Comment

Why not start out on something that you don't need a loan to purchase? You can get older used bikes that will teach you all about riding properly without putting yourself in hock and needing to have a co-signer.
          Squidbusters.com Admin

Comment

im not starting out on a POS because i cant take pride in that...

I dont plan on being a squid, i take pride in the fact that i excersise the integrity and responsibility i was raised by...

and yes i have joined your board, if you dont like it ban me...

my first thought(remember i am still 18 ) was to be a squid to the extreme to go against everything you stand for and to piss you off... be careful what kind of message you are sending........

Comment

drive a tercel and you will understand why i cant go fast enough in it...

its not that fun having to go up to 4k rpms in every gear just to get up to 55mph on an on ramp...
              its quite embarrassing

Comment

on second thought, i apologize for my reaction...
                im sure you deal with squids alot so i dont blame you... I still have some things i need to work on to get where i want to be in life so take what i say with a grain of salt...
                im not here for enemies, im here for friends and info so sorry

Comment

Okay, I apologize for jumping down your throat right off the bat. I just love this sport more than anything and want to see it be legal to participate in for a LONG time to come. There are a LOT of people who buy sportbikes because of their speed capabilities and excercise those capabilities in a VERY irresponsible manner on public roads. That sends a HORRIBLE message to the general public about sport bike riders and their collective level of responsibility. When a total newbie talks about buying a 750 as a first bike and then putting a turbo on it when he feels crazy and needs even more speed it puts up red flags...

If you want to learn and want to REALLY enjoy this sport, stick around... There are very few role models for this sport in our area, trust me, I know... The ones that ARE around aren't widely viewable. They're tooling around the back roads out of the public's eye or out doing track days.

There's a great group of people here and on my board who you can definitely learn a lot from... It's up to you which direction you want to take...

I'd suggest developing a thick skin. If you can't handle riding an older bike because of your ego, just wait until every squiddie and their brother makes fun of your Katana every chance they get. It's NOT a popular bike among the small-minded...
                  -Steve

Comment

One more thing to consider since you live in a DC suburb (per insurance company's standards, anyway) and are 18... Get insurance quotes BEFORE you buy... You may get a $100 per month loan payment and end up spending $450 per month on insurance...

If I were in your shoes I'd look at an SV650. You'll appreciate the lack of fairings when you drop it. Or, better yet, look at an EX500. Katana fairings are hard, scratch and CRACK very easily, and are expensive to replace. If you're set on a Katana, look at a pre-98. You can find them CHEAP in great condition.
                    -Steve

Comment

he he he progressive quoted me at 33 bucks a month with 3 speeding tickets...

Of course i will ride sonservativly because the bike is the second most expensive thing i have ever purchased and taking care of my investment will teach me some responsibility too...

i look forward to riding for quite a while, and personally, i love the looks of the katana and the bike will be plenty fast for me for a looooong while(i like to do research waaaaay in advance to work out every possible setback and then dream i hit the lotto)

im not too concerned about how my friends or anyone else reacts to the bike because i get ragged on about my car so im used to it, i just cant get past the sexy full fairing body!

Comment

Call the state of MD now and hope that there's still space available in an MSF course. I doubt there is. The classes fill up QUICKLY...

Just a bit of caution about MD... Riding when first starting out is darn near impossible unless you take the MSF course. (Which, even if they're all full, show up to them anyway. They have a lottery the first night of class to fill the slots from the no-shows...)

You can take the written test and get your learner's permit. The permit allows you to ride at any time so long as you do not carry a passenger and you are accompanied by someone who's held a motorcycle license for at least three years. Yes, you MUST be accompanied by a licensed rider of THREE YEARS or more. They don't need to be on a bike. They can be in a car. They must be right with you though... I know... Ridiculous...
                        -Steve

Comment

well i have my permit but the MSF registration is backed up until fall...i did not know they had lottery slots though, ill have to dig up the schedule and make a few visits!
                          thanks for the info... my helmet cam in today and i am going to wait for my next 2 paychecks and buy a 2 or 1 pc suit and then grab some boots and gloves from ebay or newenough closeout...
                          i may just drive to hagerstown and see if they have any open spots for their MSF courses and if that fails i can always go into PA(gettysburg)
                          but the 130 for the class will push back my full gear fund but i guess its worth it -duh-

i will also be learning on my friend's new to him 125cc dirtbike so it wont be all on the kat but will always be with a helmet and with the required supervision

Comment

i was also considering private lessons that arent that much more than MSF but i have to check around at the local bike dealers to see who is the best.

Comment

Going up into PA won't do you any good.

The beauty of doing the MSF course in MD is that, upon successful completion, you get a certificate to bring to the MVA and they give you your license. You do both the written and road test during the course...

Do you have a truck to haul your Kat around in? If you have a way to get your bike to Harford County, I'd be happy to help you at the community college (where they teach the MSF course up here). I can cover the basics with you and help you get through the same course the use for the test at the MVA.
                              -Steve

Comment

Welcome to KR man. Go for the 750!
                                Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Working...
                                X