Rookie Rider

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Rider

Hey Fellow Riders,
    I just purchased my first bike ever, a 1999 Suzuki Katana GSX600F. I'm really excited about riding it for the first time. I don't have my M1 yet so I will be riding it around my neighborhood for now. I've got all my protective gear now I just need to some friendly advice. If anyone can pass down some helpful wisdom for someone who has never rode before I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    Grab life by the horns and punch it in the nose!

sigpic

from Florida!

Keep the rubber down and the shiny bits up!

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome from Los Banos!

Advice - take the MSF course before you hit the streets if you have never ridden before. And at least go to DMV and get your learners permit. If you get stopped by Clovis PD and they will tow your chit for 30 days.
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Best advice, take the MSF course.

Have fun!
        25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Gear was the first great move, next is to take her to a vacant lot and practice until you can't stand it no more. Taking off and stopping smoothly, large figure 8's slowly bringing them in tighter. Most importantly, do everything GENTLY when it comes to braking. Don't use the front brake at slow speed or while you have the bike leaned. Give yourself time and everything will fall into place. Might bring along a friend(followed in a car not riding with you) in case you drop the bike to assist in picking her back up. Good luck and stay safe. Congrats on your new ride and welcome to KR...
          sigpic
          1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

MSF

Congrats and Welcome....
            Currently Riding:
            1995 Katana 600
            V&H Exhaust
            Jet Kit

SOLD
            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
            1987 XV700 Bobber
            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

welcome!!

practice practice and practice some more!
              sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
              k9 GSX-R 600
              GO VOLS!

Comment

Welcome,
                Check these threads out:
                A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
                Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                  THE DOC
                  RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                  Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                  mistake when you make it again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

MSF is a good place to start, but if your like me i wanted to know i'd pass right from the get go.. florida has a really high failure rate, so i was worried. now i realize i shouldn't have been. but just for the sake of praticing i used a large parking lot after closing hours.small cups or cut in half tennis balls make great cones. also somthing to check out would be ride like a pro V, if you can do all the exercises in the video, then msf will be easy.. good luck and keep your eyes and head up !

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

respect it =)

welcome
                            the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                            # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                            [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I think everyone has a different comfort zone the first time they get on a bike. For me, motorcycles had always been very intimidating things and I wasn't sure what to expect when I suddenly wanted one (last year). I always told people I wouldn't get a bike because I loved my cars so much and had no reason for a bike. When gas prices jumped I started looking a little bit and rode a scooter for a few months. That got me hooked.

Anyway, I was quite intimidated when I went to pick up the Kat. I was familiar with street riding on the scooter but the size and power of the Katana had me worried. Turns out I was completely comfortable on the bike after about two minutes and rode home 20 miles. I continued to ride all day long. I rode almost 500 miles before really opening the throttle, and I still have a healthy respect for the bike.

People will tell you these bikes are slow - they don't know what they're talking about. A 12-second 1/4 mile is FAST, especially on 2 wheels. You'll cock your wrist a little on the highway and look down to see 100+ mph on your speedo in an instant. Always be aware of that. Get that MSF, stay geared up and maintain that respect for your bike. Good luck, and welcome to KR!

PS- Lets see some pics of the bike!
                              Originally posted by katanawarrior
                              I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Working...
                              X