X

New Kat Owner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kat Owner

Hi. Let me start off by saying I am glad I found this site and have found some pretty helpful posts and articles so far. A little bit about me. I grew up out west in the desert and mountains and rode dirt bikes. Never have ridden a street bike. I have wanted one for awhile and finally talked my better half into allowing me to purchase a bike. I bought a '89 GSX600F Katana. I like the look of the bike, always have.

My initial thought was to fix the bike and ride it. Now after reading different articles and posts here and other sites, this bike is probably way too much for me right now. So on that note it will be a fix it up and sell it bike to make some money and get a smaller bike to start on (also will be taking the local motorcycle safety courses). As far as my mechanical abilities, I am an aircraft mechanic and have built and worked on stock cars, as well as my daily vehicles, so I am pretty comfortable doing anything.

As the bike goes, it sat for two years in the guys garage. So when I got to it, the battery was dead so I didn't start it. Bought it blind fo $900, put a battery in it and it fired up, albiet roughly. So far I have taken the carbs out, cleaned them and put them back together and back on the bike. I will be putting new plugs, filters and fluids in it in the near future.

My questions are:
    Is there anything else I should be changing/checking? (I am already going to repack the front forks)
    Should I put money into upgrades with body pieces (ie. custom undertail, lighting) repairing and painting the fairings?

I appreciate any and all suggestions and comments.

Thanks
    Scott
    sigpic

Hello Scott, welcome to KatRiders

The Katana is fine for a first bike. You already own it, don't get rid of it. Just take the MSF class and you should be fine. It will give you the confidence that you need to ride your bike. Then go out and practice in empty parking lots until you get comfortable. Before you know it, you will feel right at home on your Kat. Don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Zepp; 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM.
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.
      GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

Welcome to KR!!

Check the dates on the tires. Probably would be a good idea to change out the brake lines/fluid, gas hoses. Also, check the chain really good. How many miles on it?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
          Welcome to KR!!

Check the dates on the tires. Probably would be a good idea to change out the brake lines/fluid, gas hoses. Also, check the chain really good. How many miles on it?

I would say change "probably" to definitely.. But gytrdun hit the hight points..

Comment

Dont get rid of the Ol' Kat thats a good starter

Comment

Welcome to KR and yes, keep the Kat! It is a great bike all around, starting or keeping!
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                  =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

listen to all these guys and gals and keep the bike youll be mad if you dont keep her...
                    02 Suzuki Katana 750
                    05 Suzuki Boulevard C 50

If i wanted to hear an a$$hole i would just fart!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                      THE DOC
                      RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                      Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                      mistake when you make it again.
                      sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR, enjoy your stay!
                        "When people look like ants, pull. When ants looks like people, pray!"
                        Suzuki Katana Templates, Manuals, Tutorials| Read This Before Buying or Trading| My Parts Wanted Thread for my '01 Katana 600

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Welcome and yes KEEP the bike.

It's a great starter. You can keep it for many years. Anything smaller and you will just be replacing it within a year.

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Working...
                              X