gsx600 ok for beginner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsx600 ok for beginner?

Hi, I'm new to the forums here.

I just took the msf class and recently got my motorcycle endorsement. I've never really ridden a motorcycle before just mopeds and 4 wheelers. I found a good deal on a 96 suzuki gsx600f katana. I've read mixed reviews about them being a descent starter bike. I know they are a little heavier than others in the same class. I have good self control, and do not have any intensions of going fast and being stupid on it. I'm 6'1", 160lbs, so I think I'll be able to sit on it fine, but I know controlling the extra weight could be an issue.

I just want something fairly reliable, good on gas, and has enough horse power to get out of people's way. Does anyone have any input about this bike as a starter bike?

Thanks,
    Jeff

they are user friendly bikes. you will get there eventually, so why not jump right in?
    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Because noobs tend to drop them , even at standstills , and all that plastic gets messed up quite easily . But if that don't bother you, then that's about all you DO have to worry about .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

well if you want it get it .. itll be a decent bike just take your time when you first get it .. get in a parking lot somewhere and work on all the drills you learned at the msf course.. thekat will be way different from that lil 250 they taught you on
        so many roads so little time

Comment

Just a lil heavy but its a great starter bike. The powerband is very tame despite what you see on the spec sheets...

I still have my K6 Katana750 for sale, checkout the ad...

Now as for the GSXR series, badazz and don't even think about the GSXR1000... The most amazing and blazing fast bike I have ever ridden in my 37 years of riding... Luv it...
          "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely plan on doing drills from the msf class in a parking lot. The weight is what I'm kinda worried about. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the throttle under control since I'm not looking for speed right now. I'm only looking to be safe and keep myself alive and well.

I'm going to look at the bike in a little bit, so I'll see if it even feels right just sitting on it.

Again, thanks for the replies and advice.

Comment

Originally posted by nereus78 View Post
              Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely plan on doing drills from the msf class in a parking lot. The weight is what I'm kinda worried about. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the throttle under control since I'm not looking for speed right now. I'm only looking to be safe and keep myself alive and well.

I'm going to look at the bike in a little bit, so I'll see if it even feels right just sitting on it.

Again, thanks for the replies and advice.
              Since you are 6'1", 160 (beanpole! ) the Kat is gonna be a comfortable bike for you. The Kat has a fairly tall seat height that is more comfortable for taller males, and the pegs are far enough out that you aren't gonna have leg cramping problems unless you ride it for two or three hours at a time.

The weight of the bike makes it easy to ride, with enough throttle so that you don't have to panic every time that you have to merge into traffic like you have to do on the smaller bikes.

But, to be honest, you may lay it down. If at all possible, don't go for an uber-pristine bike, get one that's got some skuffs on it. That way, if you do lay it down, you're not gonna feel too bad about it.

Comment

It is a good first bike. Are there better bikes to start out on? Yes, of course there are. A lot of people get Ninja 250's and out grow it quickly, wanting a more powerful bike. You will grow into it quickly. The weight is really no big deal. You will be fine. At first, just be careful when doing slow speed turns.

Get the Kat, it is a great bike.
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

I have a 2000 kat and I thought that the weight would be a Issue but you do not notice the weight when you are riding at a decent speed you will notice the weight going slow but its a nice bike to grow with and I never to this point drop my bike I had my bike since April knock on wood never drop it yet so get the bike do not let the weight be a issue ride safe
                  sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Well, normally I would suggest a Bandit 600 for you, as it's very much like a Kat but without all the skin... but CyberPoet really put me in my place for suggesting a Bandit over a Kat here, so I'm not gonna say it.

So, I am NOT telling you to consider the Bandit 600. I am NOT saying it might be better for a NOOB, cause he won't do as much damage when he drops it in the driveway, which he WILL do. I am NOT saying I know this because I did it when I was a NOOB, nor am I saying I did it when I was new on the Bandit 1200 I ride. Nor will I say that everyone here has done the same thing.

Got that?

What I will say is the kat 600 is a great bike. I liked the 99 Kat 750 I had. If it had as much motor as the Bandit, I probably woudda kept it.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                      Well, normally I would suggest a Bandit 600 for you, as it's very much like a Kat but without all the skin... but CyberPoet really put me in my place for suggesting a Bandit over a Kat here, so I'm not gonna say it.

So, I am NOT telling you to consider the Bandit 600. I am NOT saying it might be better for a NOOB, cause he won't do as much damage when he drops it in the driveway, which he WILL do. I am NOT saying I know this because I did it when I was a NOOB, nor am I saying I did it when I was new on the Bandit 1200 I ride. Nor will I say that everyone here has done the same thing.

Got that?

What I will say is the kat 600 is a great bike. I liked the 99 Kat 750 I had. If it had as much motor as the Bandit, I probably woudda kept it.

Go for the Kat. It is a great beginner and keeper bike too.
                      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Welcome to KR! :

I hope this doesn't turn into another bandit vs kat thread...
                        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

new riders Katana

If you buy the katana take the plastic off when you begin to ride ride it naked!!! LOL Not you! The bike

Comment

That not true I have A 2000 Kat and I never drop it yet you will get used to da weight and da weight will not be a Issue A great Bike To learn on Buy da Bike you will love da Bike
                            sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Working...
                            X