97 GSX600F Rebuild.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GSX600F Rebuild.

Hey all,

Brand new to the site and to the sport bike scene. I have been riding my whole life pretty much. Now I ride an RMZ250F and an 01 Road King Classic. I have been looking to break into the sport bike scene or a little while now and decided to take on a rebuild so that I wouldn't have to break the bank to do so. I found a 97 gsx600f at an impound lot for 350, got it for 200. I figured it has new basically tires on it and mechanically the important stuff seemed to be in pretty decent shape. The front fork has some pretty decent damage and the plastics on the side it went down are not too pretty but buying some used parts and making some if I have to I plan to get it back on the road and clean it up pretty nice. I plan to post my progress along the way in a rebuild/project thread.

A little more about me I suppose, I am a mechanical engineer, and have a small machine/fab/job shop that I am building. Currently a Bridgeport J-Head, cadillac lathe, bandsaw, couple grinders, belt sanders, propane forge, tig welder, oxy/Ace torch, and a couple other odds and ends along with some inspection equipment. Making stuff and more importantly having the capability to fix or make most things is a passion of mine, I like working with my hands and making the right chips in metal to craft a part out of the raw stock.

I have already broken into the bike a little...after some electrical tweaking, some fresh fuel in the tank, clean fuel lines, and some engine oil, I got the motor running.

Fork comes in next week and I look forward to getting deeper into the build. Any recommendations on which thread would be the best to keep the build log in?

I look forward to getting the bike on the road and keeping a progress log of how the rebuild goes and all the inevitable problems I am bound to run into!
    Cheers,
    -Joe

FYI 96 and 97 are unique to there own. Many parts are only for those years, mostly electrical components as they are a cross over to the new model that started in 98. Plastics can be repaired vs replacement... these are becoming hard to find in decent condition and cost is climbing. 750 front fairings and belly fairings do fit, tail will not fit.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      FYI 96 and 97 are unique to there own. Many parts are only for those years, mostly electrical components as they are a cross over to the new model that started in 98. Plastics can be repaired vs replacement... these are becoming hard to find in decent condition and cost is climbing. 750 front fairings and belly fairings do fit, tail will not fit.
      I do have all the fairings for it, they are a little beat up tho, so I will take your suggestion and look into what it takes to restore them as opposed to replacing them. I have also been considering riding it naked or going with a street fighter type look

Comment

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
        X