X

Walked into this one......lol...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walked into this one......lol...

So, I was doing a big block engine swap on a 1966 Buick Skylark, and I stopped by the owners home to discuss a couple of small details on the engine. His home has a large concrete wall about 6 foot high curving uphill along the driveway with several rose bushes almost completely covering the wall. I had been here several times, but this time I happened to notice the end of a handlebar protruding from one of the rose bushes. He came out and we talked over the parts, and I said "Hey, Paul if you ever want to get rid of that bike....." gesturing toward the handlebar....... He said "Its yours man." So the next day I went over with a truck and a buddy to pick it up. All he said about it was he laid it down in the rain at about 25 and once he picked it back up he rode it home, and parked it never to be ridden again, that was almost 11 years ago. So after cutting the rose bush away from the bike, I saw it had a fairing, and had to be late 80's - early 90's sport bike. Got it out of the bush completely and low and behold it was a Kat 750, looked at the vin tag and it said 1990 gsx750f. Needless to say, I looked it over a bit as we loaded it up. Next day I pulled the carbs apart and cleaned them thoroughly, replaced the plugs, took the timing cover off, to see if there was a disaster down there, it all looked very clean. The carbs were a mess. took me all day to get them cleaned out, I changed the oil on day 2, and bought a new battery, discovered that the petcock was so decayed that it no longer functioned, so I rigged a gravity feed to the carbs after reassembly and synching. By that time it was past midnight and I was not about to make a ton of noise where my better half would have reason to make me sleep on the couch......so I opted to wait until morning to start it. 9 AM the next morning, turned the key and hit the started and It fired right up without even a hiccup. So needless to say I got a 1990 Kat 750 with 19981 miles on it for the time it took to prune a rose bush.......LOL. This site ROCKS, a wealth of information, and the carb 101 is part of what got the carbs back together and synched on that bike. So thank you for creating and maintaining this absolute dream of a site.

That's... a heck of a story!

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hey thats awesome slipstream, i wish i could get some rose bush katanas welcome to katriders!

Comment

Working...
      X