X

New project in the UK.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project in the UK.

Hi, I'm new to the site and new to Suzuki to be honest. I have just purchased a project bike that I plan to restore around running my business 7 days a week.

I have a 1998 Suzuki gsx750f. It's not in the best of conditions but I'm remaining positive I can put some life back in to it. I have rebuilt a few bikes from boxes of rusty bits so as long as the engine is good, there is no reason why this one can't go back on the road.

It's been stood for a couple of years part stripped. Originally black but the previous owner had it repainted purple and I quite like it. Looking around the bike I found the forks are badly pitted and would either need replacing or professionally restoring. Luckily I managed to find a set of forks on eBay for a mere £25 that looked in much better condition than mine. They arrived today and the stanchions are excellent. Only issue is the guy I bought them from had to cut the mudguard off so there are four sheared bolts stuck in the lower parts of the forks. Plan to try to remove these or drill them out and rethread.

Looking around the bike it's hard to see if anything is missing as I have never owned one. One thing I have noticed which is odd is on the carbs. At the engine side there are three short pipes with screws in the end. The pipes are around 3-4 inches long and come from the carbs, just after where the rubber boots push on but attached to the carbs, not the boots. I'm a little puzzled as to why these pipes are here and why they have screws in the end.

Plan of action with the bike is to drain the oil, add new oil, filter, new plugs, new battery, clean the carbs and then make sure it runs before I start with anything else.

I look forward to chatting to a few of you guys on here and hopefully getting a bit of info too if I get stuck

Originally posted by Paul71 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the site and new to Suzuki to be honest. I have just purchased a project bike that I plan to restore around running my business 7 days a week.

I have a 1998 Suzuki gsx750f. It's not in the best of conditions but I'm remaining positive I can put some life back in to it. I have rebuilt a few bikes from boxes of rusty bits so as long as the engine is good, there is no reason why this one can't go back on the road.

It's been stood for a couple of years part stripped. Originally black but the previous owner had it repainted purple and I quite like it. Looking around the bike I found the forks are badly pitted and would either need replacing or professionally restoring. Luckily I managed to find a set of forks on eBay for a mere £25 that looked in much better condition than mine. They arrived today and the stanchions are excellent. Only issue is the guy I bought them from had to cut the mudguard off so there are four sheared bolts stuck in the lower parts of the forks. Plan to try to remove these or drill them out and rethread.

Looking around the bike it's hard to see if anything is missing as I have never owned one. One thing I have noticed which is odd is on the carbs. At the engine side there are three short pipes with screws in the end. The pipes are around 3-4 inches long and come from the carbs, just after where the rubber boots push on but attached to the carbs, not the boots. I'm a little puzzled as to why these pipes are here and why they have screws in the end.

Plan of action with the bike is to drain the oil, add new oil, filter, new plugs, new battery, clean the carbs and then make sure it runs before I start with anything else.

I look forward to chatting to a few of you guys on here and hopefully getting a bit of info too if I get stuck
    The carbs need to be vacuum synced, and those 3 tubes are attatched to the vacuum ports to do so. The 4th one is a little larger, and used to apply vacuum to the petcock for fuel to flow when engine is turning over.

Peeps add the shorty pipes to the 3 because they are a pain to get to with just the caps on when mounted, and your trying to get a vacuum line on them for the sync tool, so it's a common "mod" to swap out caps for shorty pipes that you can connect to instead. Should normally be capped of plugged if leaving the lines on them.

Pics... helps us help you a lot, so don't be afraid to post lots and lots of pics of what your working on. A lot can be told from those pics, and we can see things you may not know to look for.

Imgur.com hosts pics for free, and is a really good option. The large A at the top right of the posting box will toggle the advanced editor options, and in there is the image tab that you can post the link from imgur in and have the pic show up on the forum. (preemptively giving instructions incase, you may already know how to do that... )

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

The carbs need to be vacuum synced, and those 3 tubes are attatched to the vacuum ports to do so. The 4th one is a little larger, and used to apply vacuum to the petcock for fuel to flow when engine is turning over.

Peeps add the shorty pipes to the 3 because they are a pain to get to with just the caps on when mounted, and your trying to get a vacuum line on them for the sync tool, so it's a common "mod" to swap out caps for shorty pipes that you can connect to instead. Should normally be capped of plugged if leaving the lines on them.

Pics... helps us help you a lot, so don't be afraid to post lots and lots of pics of what your working on. A lot can be told from those pics, and we can see things you may not know to look for.

Imgur.com hosts pics for free, and is a really good option. The large A at the top right of the posting box will toggle the advanced editor options, and in there is the image tab that you can post the link from imgur in and have the pic show up on the forum. (preemptively giving instructions incase, you may already know how to do that... )

Krey
      Hey Krey,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

The three short pipes are capped off with screws so that makes sense now for syncing the carbs.

I'll definitely post some pics soon. Only just sorted my garage to enable me to start this project. I'll take a look at Imgur
      Last edited by Paul71; 07-12-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Not sure if I have done that correctly or not. The links are there to view the pics but no image in the post. I'll have a look later when I get a bit more time.
        Last edited by Paul71; 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Well we got it running so let the strip and rebuild begin.

Comment

Working...
          X